ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   newb with 1st polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/361594-newb-1st-polaris.html)

bamax100 11-13-2014 12:16 PM

newb with 1st polaris

Bought a 2000 Polaris trailblazer 250 last night. Owner started it and let me hear it run but I forgot to question him on how to add gas and oil.
it is a 2 stroke and I see I need to add gas of course to the tank and there is a tank for oil on the nose.
My question,how to I go about fueling it and what oil to use etc.
thanks

stendori 11-13-2014 04:33 PM

you use 2 cycle oil in the front tank which will last at least 2 tanks of gas if it is set up right. I used the "Polaris gold synthetic" w/ my old trailblazer as it smell better and was better then regular 2 stroke oil. just a side note. you better make sure that the oil injection is still hooked up and working as some people discounted them and premixed the oil and gas.

bamax100 11-13-2014 05:43 PM

ok,another newbie question r 2..lol
how can I tell if its still hooked up?
and whether it is or not,can I just go ahead and premix the oil/gas and if so,what ratio is the mixture?

old polaris tech 11-13-2014 06:10 PM

Just look beneath the carb at the oil pump. Should be a large tube coming into it from the oil tank,a small line leading from it to the injector at the cylinder base. You can loosens screw #3 on the parts break down just a little to remove any trapped air and see if oil is reaching the pump. Wouldn't hurt to premix at a 50-1 ratio on the first tank since it's new to you. Will just smoke a little more than usual.These pumps are reliable,but as stendori mentioned many people defeat them because they don't trust them. Use a good synthetic 2 stroke injector oil as most will smoke less. Won't hurt to use this oil to premix also. Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

bamax100 11-13-2014 06:13 PM

thanks. I did notice when I cleaned the carb all of the lines were hooked up,didnt see any that had been removed.
I will try what u said and see how she does.thanks

bamax100 12-11-2014 05:43 PM

pre-mixed the oil/gas and ran it 1st time today...really like the power of the 2 stroke.
hardly any smoke but that might be from me not getting the mixture 100% correct.
I will be tuning it more this weekend.thanks for the help

stendori 12-12-2014 02:55 PM

glad it's up and going for you. just keep an eye on the oil tank to make sure that it is using oil. If I remember right you should get about 2 to 2 1/2 tanks of gas to a tank of oil, but I always would fill it up when you fuel to be sure you won't run out.;)

old polaris tech 12-12-2014 03:34 PM

[

Pump injects oil into the cylinder base on the 250. I said to mix the first tank 50-1 along with the oil pump system. It's what we had to do on new machines straight out of the crate just for protection as supposedly the pump was bled from the factory.Normally you can just bleed the pump of any trapped air,but a little extra wont hurt especially during a break in period.May smoke a tad more,but running it this way on the first tank of fuel can be added protection in case there's any trapped air and allows the pump to clear this out. Second tank just go back to regular fuel.

bamax100 12-12-2014 03:53 PM

I wasn't sure how much to add but I put some in oil tank.the way the petcock leaked,i knew I wouldn't run it long b4 it leaked out about 1/2 gallon of gas. I premixed about 1 gallon 50-1 and tossed in half of the premix and had a little oil also b4 I rode it. once I get the petcock on and solve the leak,i will work on the injector pump and if it works,tune it all to work on that. so far,i like the 2 stroke.

old polaris tech 12-12-2014 04:07 PM

Very easy to see if the pump still works. Just bleed the 10mm screw on top of the pump,pull the line from the cylinder base.Put your finger over the injector at the cylinder. Crank the engine up,hold the pump arm all the way up. Tricks it into pumping full force. Should be a dribble of oil coming from the line if the pump is ok.