Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Coolant change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant change?

Going to change my coolant come spring, looking for tips. Is taking off the lower rad hose the easiest way?

Not putting the green stuff back in, may run Peak, Rotella ELC, or Evans Waterless coolant.

How do I get all the old stuff out? airline on the rad fill?

Old 01-28-2015, 12:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just remove the lower hose and open the radiator drain to get most of the coolant out.Won't hurt to run it a couple minutes this way.Hook the lower hose back up.If you want to flush it out, keep a water hose in the radiator while at an idle until nothing but clear water drains.Let it completely drain.Close the radiator drain,raise the front end up and fill up the radiator.Let it run until the fan cycles on and off several times while you top off the coolant level.This should get rid of any trapped air pockets.Top off the radiator and coolant bottle and replace the cap. Test drive to make sure every things ok and no hot light.Let it cool down and recheck levels. Some later models didn't have a drain if I remember correctly. Just drain the hoses leave the lower hose off and run it for a couple minutes. Hook the lower hose back up and go through the fill procedure.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Just remove the lower hose and open the radiator drain to get most of the coolant out.Won't hurt to run it a couple minutes this way.Hook the lower hose back up.If you want to flush it out, keep a water hose in the radiator while at an idle until nothing but clear water drains.Let it completely drain.Close the radiator drain,raise the front end up and fill up the radiator.Let it run until the fan cycles on and off several times while you top off the coolant level.This should get rid of any trapped air pockets.Top off the radiator and coolant bottle and replace the cap. Test drive to make sure every things okß and no hot light.Let it cool down and recheck levels. Some later models didn't have a drain if I remember correctly. Just drain the hoses leave the lower hose off and run it for a couple minutes. Hook the lower hose back up and go through the fill procedure.
Thank you so much OPT.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:48 AM
Trailblazer

This is helpful for me too as I have to replace the thermo sensor do-dadd on the bottom RH side of the rad. The coolant in the bike is new so I just have to be careful not to spill and I'll re-use.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by b1jackson
This is helpful for me too as I have to replace the thermo sensor do-dadd on the bottom RH side of the rad. The coolant in the bike is new so I just have to be careful not to spill and I'll re-use.
Easiest if you just have the new sensor close by with teflon tape on the threads. Unhook the old sensor connector and pull the wiring from under the plastic radiator guard.Remove the old sensor,then quickly install the new sensor with wiring dangling loose.Route the wiring up and plug the connector in. Shouldn't loose over a 1/2 cup of coolant if you have quick fingers.