Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

No Reverse. they welded the spindle inside the transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Reverse. they welded the spindle inside the transmission

I just bought a 1995 Polaris scrambler 400 4x4 for $ 700 with a utility trailer. The scrambler runs, but there's no reverse. The guy said the person he bought it from

"welded the spindle inside the transmission with a forward gear and reverse gear. It was skipping in reverse a little".

The atv runs like a snowmobile now. The wife and myself were thinking of getting in the hobby and thought just cheapies would work for now. I've heard two stroke atvs are easy to work on, but I'm assuming I will have to buy a replacement transmission to solve my reverse issues.

Also when I got there the 4x4 did not work, but he showed me the chain is off and told me the pin broke off and he hasn't got around to work on it. I feel like this would be a simple fix, but hoping it isn't affected by the reverse issues.

As far as I could tell the atv runs fine(smokes abit), but figured it was normal for the age. Just had a top end rebuild though.
Thoughts, concerns or comments?

Old 03-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Crazy thing to do,but considering a lot of hard parts are NLA on most parts places for this transmission now including the shift fork (#8),reverse dog/slider gear(26) and the reverse gear itself(#28) along with the forward gear also (#30) I can see why he did.Guess he just welded the forward engagement dog gear to the forward gear and called it a day.. Just be careful on the throttle when you crank it up and leave yourself plenty of room to turn around. Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 03-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Crazy thing to do,but considering a lot of hard parts are NLA on most parts places for this transmission now including the shift fork (#8),reverse dog/slider gear(26) and the reverse gear itself(#28) along with the forward gear also (#30) I can see why he did.Guess he just welded the forward engagement dog gear to the forward gear and called it a day.. Just be careful on the throttle when you crank it up and leave yourself plenty of room to turn around. Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
What do yoU mean by be careful with the throttle? To much juice will wreck it? Should I put a new tranny in or try to get rid of this thing. I'm kindof scared lol

Old 03-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

No I just meant when you cranked it up if he's welded this thing to where you don't have neutral and it starts in gear.As far as parts, ebay is a good source of NOS parts that show up from time to time. The front chain you can get anywhere to try to get awd back in action,but also there are a lot of things in the hubs that may need to be addressed to have awd.Best thing you can do is to get a manual if you plan on trying to work on this atv. No free ones left that I've been able to find,but a cheap 5 buck pdf shouldn't break the bank.
DOWNLOAD 1985-1995 Polaris ATV Repair Manual ALL MODELS - Download ...

Old 03-03-2015, 08:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Plus sometimes you can find ones like this,but he's asking almost what the new ones sold for when you could still get them back in 95. http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-POLARIS-scrambler-4x4-400-transmission-trans-gear-box-NICE-731-MILES-ONLY-/141586710141?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20f739be7d&vxp=mtr Plus some as low as this.http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-POLARIS-SCRAMBLER-400-4X4-GEARCASE-1341140-/390575875002?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af022e3ba&vxp=mtr Have seen guys cannibalize a couple different ones to get one good gear case also.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Plus sometimes you can find ones like this,but he's asking almost what the new ones sold for when you could still get them back in 95. 95 Polaris Scrambler 4x4 400 Transmission Trans Gear Box Nice 731 Miles Only | eBay Plus some as low as this.1995 Polaris Scrambler 400 4x4 Gearcase 1341140 | eBay Have seen guys cannibalize a couple different ones to get one good gear case also.

Awesome! Thank you so much for the advice and help. I will be looking at the manual and try to understand it more. Kind of threw me off why he did what he did, but I gotcha. I don't really need the reverse, but its always nice to have what you don't have. I'm more worried about the 4x4 but think I can figure that out(seems simple enough).

I feel more comfortable with this now. Seems that the guy knew what he was doing and didn't just weld **** together to rig it. At least there's some mechanical logic behind it.

Thanks !!!!!

Old 03-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Think $700 was to much to pay?

Old 03-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Trailer's almost worth that much if it's decent. $500 or so I would guess. Think of getting an almost free atv if you wish.. Granted this 2 stroke can be a little complicated in some repairs if needed,but as long as it runs,engine is ok as you say,the rest can be worked on a little at a time if you're so inclined. I'd concentrate on the chains and the awd first. If you wish to swap out the gear case for a good working one, that can be done at any time. Even if you didn't want to invest anymore in to it,if the plastics,frame,electronics,etc are in good shape,you could part it out on ebay and possibly get more than you paid for it. If you go that route,keep the trailer for another one,preferably a later model 4 stroke that's ready to ride.Just my two cents.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Man I wish it was a legit trailer. I meant it as a 3x4 just to haul firewood. I'm really upset with myself on this, I found a Honda 400ex for 1,000 thats 10 years newer.

I feel like no one will buy this polaris knowing about the reverse. I'm just venting lol

Old 03-05-2015, 12:19 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Everyone makes mistakes at one time or another like this. Made a big one myself when I traded a very clean 1966 Yamaha Big Bear 250 (YDSC3) even for a beat up 67 Honda 305 Scrambler just because I wanted to do hill climbing back in 1969. 46 years later and I still think about how dumb I was. Just chalk it up as a learning experience, plus either see if you can sell it as is or look at what parts are going for on ebay. May help you to decide when you see what some parts are going for.

Quick Reply: No Reverse. they welded the spindle inside the transmission