Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Octane??????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 09:04 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Octane??????????

Octane make any difference power wise in one of these machines? Or is 87 just fine and no difference with a higher octane

Old 06-07-2015, 09:19 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Unless a Machine manual calls for High Octane it is pointless to buy it. http://thisvsthatshow.com/high-octan...ow-octane-gas/

So, when it comes to high octane vs low octane gas – (assuming you’re not driving for NASCAR) you want to buy the…

LOWER OCTANE GAS.

Paying a premium for higher octane gas is NOT the equivalent of treating your car to filet mignon, or to continue our metaphor from earlier, high octane gas might as well be regular gas with a touch more pig ***** and anus. It’s probably not going to hurt your engine — but it’s definitely not going to help it, either.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need high compression or forced induction to make use of higher octane. Your motor will run best on the minimum octane it is rated for generally. I like to run ethanol free though, and around here that means you are buying 91. The benefit is less wear and tear on the fuel components in older small engines.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

If you're able to find ethanol free gas use it as it's easier on fuel lines and especially carb parts. If you can't find any local just use plain old 87 and treat it. All higher octane does is burns slower for high compression engines to help them run cooler. We sold VP108 that racers mixed 50/50 with 93 octane on modified high compression Ktm bikes. On a lower compression engine you're just throwing money away on higher test gas than recommended and some have even run crappy on it. Found that out on some smaller high revving race bikes that ran better on straight pump gas.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Moto Psycho

Like it's already been said high octane gas is just a waste of money unless you have a high compression engine built for racing. It can even give you worse gas mileage because with more octane there's less "gas" in your gas/octane mixture.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hm, I was told that higher octane makes your engine last longer (obviously not from a reliable source).

Old 06-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

i guess its not he octane but the place u get it....tier 1...(most or all shell stations are tier 1 i think)

Trending Topics

Old 06-07-2015, 10:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ArmBandit
i guess its not he octane but the place u get it....tier 1...(most or all shell stations are tier 1 i think)
All top tier or tier 1 stations in my area such as Exxon,Shell,Chevron still have 10% ethanol in all there fuel ranges from 87 to 92. Closest non ethanol place is about 125 miles,excluding some area marinas that charge crazy prices for it.Not worth the effort even for my sons pontoon stored at the house.Just buy the grade fuel recommended for your machines and treat it with a good fuel/ethanol additive. I do agree that teir 1 stations for the most part do have better detergent packages than off brand stations even though a lot of the gas comes from the same refineries down here.Even my old truck can tell the difference between Chevron and crappy Murphy gas at Wally World that I quit using years ago. Just wouldn't run right on the junk.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:24 PM
Moto Psycho

You can check here to find non-ethanol gas. The closest place to me is over 30 miles. Ethanol Free Gas Stations

Old 06-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
All top tier or tier 1 stations in my area such as Exxon,Shell,Chevron still have 10% ethanol in all there fuel ranges from 87 to 92. Closest non ethanol place is about 125 miles,excluding some area marinas that charge crazy prices for it.Not worth the effort even for my sons pontoon stored at the house.Just buy the grade fuel recommended for your machines and treat it with a good fuel/ethanol additive. I do agree that teir 1 stations for the most part do have better detergent packages than off brand stations even though a lot of the gas comes from the same refineries down here.Even my old truck can tell the difference between Chevron and crappy Murphy gas at Wally World that I quit using years ago. Just wouldn't run right on the junk.
yeah i was really reffering to the additives of the top tier...just better gas

Quick Reply: Octane??????????