Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need the size of fuse/lamp/light in handlebar AWD switch

Old 06-16-2015, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need the size of fuse/lamp/light in handlebar AWD switch

Hey everyone! I have been researching for two days now on this issue! I have a 97 Sportsman 500 4x4. AWD is not working. Hillard huds are not engaging. front drive shafts spinning,My speedo works, Well,, everything except the light in the AWD switch that I didn't even know I had!

Yes, there is a little light which works as a fuse inside the AWD button.
I need to know what Watt/amp or fuse or whatever that is. I need specs and maybe where to buy it.
Does anyone one know??

Old 06-16-2015, 04:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

InRBigness
Polaris ATV Legend

Member #7218
yours is easy to check. Put a meter on the two leads going to either hub and make sure you have 12v. You can also put 12volts directly through the connector to the hub and see if it lock. If it does work up, if it doesn't work backwards. There are no fuses, just the patented "stay wet relay pouches".

ME---
Actually I was talking to a local shop about my problem. It seems the small light in the case with the AWD button works as a fuse. If it goes out (like the speedo on newer versions), then the curcuit is not completed and it will not engage 4wd. I took the button apart and the light was no where to be found. I could see where it goes on though.
And yes, I could jump it, or even add a small fuse between the contacts, but I'm not in a rush, I have until hunting season! LOL. Just want the right part in the right spot. I've checked almost everything mechanical on it already, and mechanically it looks great. Electrical though,, Take my time so I don't burn anything up!

Any help would help?

Old 06-16-2015, 07:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Forgot what year model that Polaris changed the awd switch to where the bulb didn't complete the circuit,but was just an indicator only. Check that you have power to the gray wires at the hub coil with the button pushed in and in gear. If not you can jump past this as some have done.
"I think I have finally got it. I hooked the grey wire from the awd switch to a hot wire. The awd switch controls the grey wires to the hubs. Awd on power to the coils. Awd off no power to coils. Front tires rotate the way they should. When you mentioned a temporary fix hooking into the block on he panel it made me nervous, so I tried an easier approach." Don't know if this helps..

Old 06-17-2015, 04:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry,, Its a 1997 Polaris sportsman 500 4x4. It has the red circle push button AWD built (screwed) into the throttle assembly on handlebars.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by jayking232003
Sorry,, Its a 1997 Polaris sportsman 500 4x4. It has the red circle push button AWD built (screwed) into the throttle assembly on handlebars.
Yes I think it was one of these year models (96-98) was when Polaris changed the system to where the bulb didn't have anything to do with competing the awd circuit like the earlier,94,etc models did. Techs and customers complained about the burnt bulb problem for years in these old models cutting awd. 99 was when the first built in slide switch was incorporated into the throttle housing.Just see if you have power to the gray hub wires even with a burnt/missing bulb. If not try the jumper method if you can't find this crazy little bulb.

Attached Thumbnails Need the size of fuse/lamp/light in handlebar AWD switch-demand-drive-bulb-fit-many-atv-39-s_700_600_46rwq.jpg  
Old 06-21-2015, 12:35 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My dad has the 97 Sportsman 500 , unlike the new ones he has a cable operated speedo that has nothing to do with the AWD system like new by wire electronic speedos.
We smashed his 1997 speedo and pod right off the handle bars in a roll over and the awd still worked perfect.

Talk about a change for the worst. Nice move Polaris.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by TLC
My dad has the 97 Sportsman 500 , unlike the new ones he has a cable operated speedo that has nothing to do with the AWD system like new by wire electronic speedos.
We smashed his 1997 speedo and pod right off the handle bars in a roll over and the awd still worked perfect.

Talk about a change for the worst. Nice move Polaris.
Yeah Polaris screwed up on the electronic speedos,but speedos weren't the problem on the older models. The blame little bulb in the awd switch itself in the early 350/400s that when burn't lost awd connection was the pain in the butt..500 models were past all that for the most part.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well,, that didn't work, brand new bulb, and bulb does'nt turn on and awd still not engaging. Again its, a 1997 Polaris Sportsman 500 4x4 with demand drive. "sigh". Whats my next move guys! Circuit is at least complete now!

Old 06-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where is the main power source coming from for the demand drive? I'll start "om"ing the wires and testing voltage down line! until I figure it out, but where does it start?

Old 06-28-2015, 04:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check out the switch in the gear shift box. If it's not making good contact,won't show that it's in gear and the awd switch wont light up and complete the circuit. Sorry system on the early models until they moved the gear position switch to the transmission where it belongs. The switch may be worn or pushed back far enough in the housing that the shift lever can't engage it.Some have jumped this switch wiring on the circuit board.Item#15.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-3233208-3233371-Switch-Gearselect-Data-/331590248224?hash=item4d3451a720&vxp=mtr

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need the size of fuse/lamp/light in handlebar AWD switch