Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ATV mechanical 'goof ups'

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2001, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the yrs that you been working on your ATVs,what particular instance comes to mind as a screw up/goof-up on your behalf or someone else's?
Mine you ask?
1.A few wks ago while installing the Dynoport pipe/silencer,my 13yr old nephew asked if he could re-install the right side rear tire?I said ok.Upon checking his work,I noticed he installed the lug nuts on the wrong way.I explained to him the correct way they need to go on,upon even further inspection,I noticed he installed the wheel on backwards to.Uncle Bill fixed it.

Now im NOT perfect either!
2.Today,while sitting on the toilet taking a casual dump,I was going thru the Dennis Kirk catalog,the reed valve section,and I come to the reed spacer section.It says that without the reed spacer,the reed valve sits to far inside.The spacer kit pulls the reed back to allow more vacuum and flow.I got to thinking about how I installed the Delta V-Force reed and spacer??????''HUM I said''I went outside to the Polebarn to check my installion on my Xplorer.Guess what I did?I installed the reed valve in the head FIRST than the spacer.WHAT A GOOF-UP.No damn wonder I am not all that high on the 180 dollar reed/spacer kit.Well fellows,that really is MY first blunder in the many yrs of servicing these damn things.I'll fix it the correct way in the morning[spacer first,than reed].

I just installed brakes all the way around the Xplorer yesterday,maybe I better check to see that I did'nt install the pads on BACKWARDS? [LOL]
Bill Ciliberti

00 Xplorer
26 Mudrunners
Delta V-Force reeds w/spacer kit,installed WRONG
Dynoport pipe/silencer
KN filter
RcR airbox mod

Old 04-10-2001, 09:57 PM
Range Rover

That's funny, Bill! It proves two things:
1. You're never too old to learn (I'm not saying you're old, LOL)

2. You can learn something from a fool (I'm not saying you're a fool, either...it's just you can learn how NOT to do something)

Anyway, enyoyed your post.
cya
TI

Old 04-10-2001, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

The last "boo-boo" I made was when re-building my engine. Had just gotten it ported and all and put the entire quad back together. After doing the long job of hooking up carb, reed valves, radiator hoses and coolant, gas tank, cylinder, cool head, fenders...the whole bit... I logged on to the forums. Some one talked about aligning the piston rings...to "set" them. Ooops! I did not know if I did it right. Needless to say I took everything apart, checked the damn rings (which were fine), and put it all back together.

Dealer boo-boos:
1- Wheels on backwards
2- Only 1 bolt holding wheel in place
3- Clutch weights in backwards
4- Forgot to change helix with new clutch kit
5- Gave me wrong pieces on many occasions
6- Lost my tires
Too many others to list!

Bill...I almost did the same thing with my reed spacer. Your not alone on that "goof up"!!

Old 04-10-2001, 10:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

hey bill,
i have a good one for you.
my friend asked me to pull his trailer and sp500 over to my house to do some riding sunday. i said sure. he forgot to tie down the back and when i hit the brakes and made a sharp left, guess what came flying off the front of the trailer, did a nose dive on the front end, and sent the rear slamming against the back of my wife's new tahoe almost taking out the rear window? yep, you guessed right.

Old 04-10-2001, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Guys,
My first goof up was when my first cv boot got a rip in it! My buddy told me that he could replace it for me, and since he has kept his Arctic Cat in good working order and I have no mechanical ability, I gave him the job. The first time I took the machine out after that, I realized that only of the front wheels was spinning!! It turned out that my buddy didnt tighten the crown nut enough and I tore up the armature plate and other stuff in the hub, and my brake pads were fortunate enough to soak up the hub oil!!! What turned out to originally be a $25 boot replacement turned out to be much more!! Oh, I just bring my machine to the dealer now for service!! Balintawak

Old 04-11-2001, 07:09 AM
Pro Rider

OH YEAH,I got one,
Changing the stock spring to a white one I forgot to take the wood handle ballpean hammer out,that I used as a wedge to get the bolts off When I cranked the engine the hammer snaped like a twig.30miles later my belt broke up.
This has been going on my whole life.......
Mother says I'm special

Old 04-11-2001, 07:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

All these are good ones,and I still cant beleive I installed that reed/spacer like that!I eat,breathe,sleep ATVs 24-7.No matter what im doing service wise,I allways feel no one can do that job better than ME.Im very particular!

Todd,your SO right,non of us are perfect,no matter how hard we try to be,
Bill

Old 04-11-2001, 10:02 AM
BK
Pro Rider

My nephew installed the rear tire of his dad's warrior on backwards. Instead of being the same width as the front it now stuck out several inches. The first trip around their tight little woods trail, a tree caught the tire in question. It bent the axle and threw the rider off (I can't remeber who was riding that day, it was a long time ago). BK

Old 04-11-2001, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, you think that is bad...

I rebuilt Hydros Sportsman last year. After having it bored and completely reassembling the motor, AND plastic and cranking the bike, I noticed the circlip on the floor of the shop where I put in when I was trying to install the piston by myself. That can be a little tricky, you almost need an axtra hand if you do not use a ring compressor. Anyway, I had to completely disassemble the topend again in order to install the circlip on the wristpin. Live and learn. After rebuilding this bike twice, there have been no further problems.

I am an idiot. (Just figured I would mention that so you guys do not feel the need to remind me)

Greg

Old 04-11-2001, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well,
I just got in from fixing MY reed/spacer goof up.Everything went fine,just like it should have in the FIRST PLACE!
Bill

Quick Reply: ATV mechanical 'goof ups'