Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Carb problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 07:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb problems

New to the sight I'm trying to fix a buddies polaris 425 2×4 magnum 1995 this 4wheeler has sat for a few years but ran fine when parked cleaned the tank and lines fuel pump got to the carb torn down soaked for a couple of days cleaned all parts with carb cleaner and used a air hose to dry put carb back together motor starts right up but boogs down as I apply throttle I've been back into the carb a few more times with the same result if anyone can point me in the right direction would be much appreciated

Old 10-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Do you have the air box and filter back on? If not they wont take throttle unless you do.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Do you have the air box and filter back on? If not they wont take throttle unless you do.
I do indeed its all back together and complete

Old 10-27-2015, 08:03 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you still have the foam support collar make sure it's not blocking air flow. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus you can make sure it's getting enough fuel by pulling the line from the carb and cranking the engine over. Should have a steady pulse of fuel from the pump. Not a fan of just cleaning carbs as that doesn't always help. Carb kits or at least a new needle and seat especially on a machine that's been sitting up for years.NEW SHINDY CARBURETOR CARB REBUILD/REPAIR KIT FOR POLARIS 425 MAGNUM 1995-98 Float level needs to be set correctly also.See if this pdf section from the manual helps on the carb and float level setting.You have the BST34 carb.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...U2gGlaHJWSIlbA Might not be abad idea on checking valve clearance(.006 intake and exhaust) and checking the exhaust cam lobe for wear. This was one of the models affected by soft heat treatment on cams. I saw that it was supposed to be running good when it was put up for 2 years,but I've heard that before also.. Just the old negative mechanic in me I guess

Old 10-27-2015, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If you still have the foam support collar make sure it's not blocking air flow. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus you can make sure it's getting enough fuel by pulling the line from the carb and cranking the engine over. Should have a steady pulse of fuel from the pump. Not a fan of just cleaning carbs as that doesn't always help. Carb kits or at least a new needle and seat especially on a machine that's been sitting up for years.NEW SHINDY CARBURETOR CARB REBUILD/REPAIR KIT FOR POLARIS 425 MAGNUM 1995-98 Float level needs to be set correctly also.See if this pdf section from the manual helps on the carb and float level setting.You have the BST34 carb.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...U2gGlaHJWSIlbA
No foam on filter and I'll check the fuel line I just got off line ordered a new fuel pump and carb kit I'll keep in touch let ya know this all works out
Thank you