Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 sportsman of course... no spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 01:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 sportsman of course... no spark

Hi I'm new to the thread. I bought a 03 700 sportsman carb model I'm lost on it just installed the rm stator ignition fix kit and drum roll.... no spark still... it does not have any coolant in the machine or the correct battery either... can that cause a no spark.. need some in site thank you

Old 01-24-2016, 07:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Need to have the correct 30 amp battery that's called for or an equivalent. Item #10 in the parts break down. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse but I'd recheck your connections. No coolant in the machine wouldn't affect spark,but not good on the water pump seal to constantly spin it dry. I know people have installed the cheaper RM stator kits which uses the stock Ducati light coil in the stator as the source of ignition. This coil can fail same as the main source coil and most people don't realize that. If it does,you're stuck. Then you have to find another Ducati stator. For this main reason I've never been crazy about these kits and imo they're a bypass or cheap fix to a ignition system that has a history of failures. Yes the cost is half of what the complete Kokusan kit costs, but I'd try first to retrace your steps on the hookup and get the correct battery and go from there.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Need to have the correct 30 amp battery that's called for or an equivalent. Item #10 in the parts break down. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse but I'd recheck your connections. No coolant in the machine wouldn't affect spark,but not good on the water pump seal to constantly spin it dry. I know people have installed the cheaper RM stator kits which uses the stock Ducati light coil in the stator as the source of ignition. This coil can fail same as the main source coil and most people don't realize that. If it does,you're stuck. Then you have to find another Ducati stator. For this main reason I've never been crazy about these kits and imo they're a bypass or cheap fix to a ignition system that has a history of failures. Yes the cost is half of what the complete Kokusan kit costs, but I'd try first to retrace your steps on the hookup and get the correct battery and go from there.

OK yeah I plan on getting a Ducati stator I've read how they all fail eventually and all but for now on my budget im just trying g to get it to run. Yeah the battery that was in it was bad pulled the one out of my warrior lol to crank it but it has no spark I did hook the kit up correctly though. Wasn't sure on the coolant situation due to thinking it might have a kill switch of sorts due to no coolant. So temporarily if I get the new stator and correct battery it should have fire correct?

Old 01-24-2016, 01:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Dans_700sports
OK yeah I plan on getting a Ducati stator I've read how they all fail eventually and all but for now on my budget im just trying g to get it to run. Yeah the battery that was in it was bad pulled the one out of my warrior lol to crank it but it has no spark I did hook the kit up correctly though. Wasn't sure on the coolant situation due to thinking it might have a kill switch of sorts due to no coolant. So temporarily if I get the new stator and correct battery it should have fire correct?
IF the Ducati stator is the fault to begin with.. Again get the right battery first. If it is a stator you probably can still find Ducati stators cheap on ebay,but no guarantee any of them a would be worth a flip.. Believe me I under stand people's budgets! I've got a reduced one myself now that I'm retired, but I just hate to see people go through this still using Ducati stators and RM kits. If you keep the machine,I would save up and eventually get the Kokusan ignition kit and be done with it.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
IF the Ducati stator is the fault to begin with.. Again get the right battery first. If it is a stator you probably can still find Ducati stators cheap on ebay,but no guarantee any of them a would be worth a flip.. Believe me I under stand people's budgets! I've got a reduced one myself now that I'm retired, but I just hate to see people go through this still using Ducati stators and RM kits. If you keep the machine,I would save up and eventually get the Kokusan ignition kit and be done with it.
Yeah I took the cover off and it had a ton of rusty water in there.... how do I test the stator? I'm a diesel mechanic these things are kinda a foreign language to me lol I do appreciate the help

Old 01-27-2016, 08:23 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Best way is to have the manual and go through the trouble shooting steps along with resistance specs. Here's a one for 5 bucks that shows the old Ducati specs.2003 Polaris Sportsman 700 Service Manual PDF Download You might try first to see if you can clean the flywheel and stator and pick up coil and see if you can regain spark. If it doesn't work,the stator shows bad from the manual resistance specs,then used Ducati stators are on still on ebay. Again you'd be taking another chance on used Ducati electronics.
2003 Polaris 4x4 Sportsman 700 Stator Pulsar Coil | eBay

Old 01-29-2016, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer

Pretty sure the stator is shot haha. Got the battery no spark still.. if buy a stator that is good and that regulator rectifier is bad as well will I still have no spark even with the rm stator kit?

Old 01-29-2016, 07:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Dans_700sports
Pretty sure the stator is shot haha. Got the battery no spark still.. if buy a stator that is good and that regulator rectifier is bad as well will I still have no spark even with the rm stator kit?
That's another thing that was bad about the Ducati system was that it would take out regulator/rectifiers on a regular basis also.That's why the Kokusan kit come complete with a new one. Since you've already invested money in the Rm kit,you can probably get by with another cheap used Ducati stator and new regulator. The Rm kit uses the Ducati lighting coil for ignition and supposedly "solves" that problem. As I mentioned these coils can go out also,but not all of them.This is what I see as your cheapest option at this point. Regulators aren't cheap for this machine. Shows that Polaris part number # 2203638 has been updated to # 4010670. Several new and used ones on ebay that you can get. 2203638 Polaris | eBay Plus you can google these two part numbers and see if you can find one cheaper. This one is still the cheapest used stator that I've found. 2003 Polaris 4x4 Sportsman 700 Stator Pulsar Coil | eBay Again the choice is yours on this. Either spend more money on top of what you already have or just bite the bullet and get the Kokusan kit and be done with it.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Afternoon all you ATV riders, looking for some advise on a Kokusan CDI problem, I have no spark, surprise surprise, I am not trying to cut corners, yes I have a budget, lol BUT I see all kinds of alternate kokusan CDIs available for the sportsman 600/700, will they work in replace of mine, I have a 04.5 sportsman 600, my CDI has the part number 4011017, I have found many 4010897 and another with 4010920, mine was built after 02/23/04, so in simple can these other units, 4010920 or 4010897, be used in place of the one I have, 4011017, or am I best to do the ducati replacement kit and get everything new.

I also see a product by Sure Power, part number 4011085, this seems to be part of a Polaris service update kit

The CDI's I have found are on ebay, here in Ontario, Can we don't get the price breaks on this stuff, so I am looking for the most effective way to get my current problem solved

Last edited by bmdjmd; 02-10-2016 at 05:18 PM. Reason: add new info
Old 02-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

First off you got things backwards. You don't want any part that has Ducati on it. You have the updated Kokusan kit already with this cdi. If you don't have spark have you checked out stator specs and troubleshooting guides in the manual to make sure it's not a problem there or in other areas such as the kill circuit,ignition switch,left control switch,wiring,etc? Plus YES,if your ecm module is black then it's Chinese and needs to be replaced with the updated kit as this itself can cause ignition problems.http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-ATV-...RfQQbw&vxp=mtr Plus if it's never been replaced it's covered under the recall. You might as well say you have a 2005 model as that's really what the 2004.5 is. http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2008/...o-Fire-Hazard/

Quick Reply: 2003 sportsman of course... no spark