Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 sportsman 500 stator help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 sportsman 500 stator help please

Im in the process of restoring my dad's 2000 sportsman that he has owned since new. My problem is that he needs a stator. But it seems they changed the stator design in mid 2000 with his having a build date of 3/09/00. All of the stators that ive seen for his model # have 1-2plug and 1-3plug (with a extra green wire)connectors that go to the cdi, but his cdi takes only 2-2 plug connectors. And the later 2000 stator has the right plugs as his, but the stator itself will not fit onto the case......the dealer hasnt been much help and neither had the tech hotline. So im here asking for help and any is much appreciated! Thanks

Old 02-25-2016, 06:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Old 02-25-2016, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have actually already purchased both stators that are listed. The older style bolted up and will run but only at idle, but the plugs dont match up going to the cdi. This is my problem. I tried the newer style and it in fact has the same style plugs going to the cdi, but will not bolt up to the case. On the pre ho stator, i had to cut the 3 headed plug that has to red wires and a green wire and run red wires to the cdi. They matched up. But my problem is the green wire. If you start it up it will idle all day, but as soon as you giving it gas it stumbles and misses. But if you ground out the green wire from stator it will run great, but it will NOT start with green grounded out. Thanks for your quick responce.
Originally Posted by old polaris tech

Old 02-25-2016, 06:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Cray05
I have actually already purchased both stators that are listed. The older style bolted up and will run but only at idle, but the plugs dont match up going to the cdi. This is my problem. I tried the newer style and it in fact has the same style plugs going to the cdi, but will not bolt up to the case. On the pre ho stator, i had to cut the 3 headed plug that has to red wires and a green wire and run red wires to the cdi. They matched up. But my problem is the green wire. If you start it up it will idle all day, but as soon as you giving it gas it stumbles and misses. But if you ground out the green wire from stator it will run great, but it will NOT start with green grounded out. Thanks for your quick responce.
This is a problem... I'll recheck and see what I can find. Green wire is the main coil exciter,strange that it runs with it grounded.. Do you still have the engine decal on the recoil cover? Does show which stator depending on engine number. Don't know if this helps or if you've been down that road already.http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...00&fveh=285548

Last edited by old polaris tech; 02-25-2016 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Engine serial #
Old 02-25-2016, 06:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

it kinda seems as if it has the newer style cdi box, but with the old style stator. But i know for a fact that all the electrical items are all orginally, except for starter. I wonder if they made a different stator for a few months other than the 2 that are listed. Because this one does not have a connection for that green wire. Again thanks for your help!

Old 02-25-2016, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just went and looked for that sticker, its gone. Yea ive looked at many different parts diagrams all of them show the same 2.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Not that I'm aware of as this is a direct copy of Polaris Parts catalog. Looked through it (all 10 models of the 500 including the RSE)and all models show the same two stators depending on build date.

Trending Topics

Old 02-25-2016, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not that I'm aware of as this is a direct copy of Polaris Parts catalog. Looked through it (all 10 models of the 500 including the RSE)and all models show the same two stators depending on build date.
wow im at a loss then. I dont know what to do with the green wire. Theres no where to plug it in at.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Only thing left is that there were two cdi options also along with the stators. Possible if you look on the back of yours you can tell what part number. Either 3085639 or 3086982. May or may not be marked,but something strange is going on. Worst case scenario Ricks or Ricky stators can rebuild your existing stator if you haven't chopped it up too much.. Or try a different approach and hit the cdi also to see if you can get a matched system somehow.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Only thing left is that there were two cdi options also along with the stators. Possible if you look on the back of yours you can tell what part number. Either 3085639 or 3086982. May or may not be marked,but something strange is going on. Worst case scenario Ricks or Ricky stators can rebuild your existing stator if you haven't chopped it up too much.. Or try a different approach and hit the cdi also to see if you can get a matched system somehow.
Im actually waiting on a call back from Ricky's Stator. I thought about that idea too of having that stator rewound, but my dad must have trashed it. Do you think i could swap out the side case to the HO style? That way i could just put the the newer version stator in and all the plugs would match. The numbers on the cdi box are gone too. But it is the larger one with the only to plugs only having 2 leads each. The model number is A00CH50AH if that helps you any. It shows the pre HO style stator for that model.

Quick Reply: 2000 sportsman 500 stator help please