Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Just bought 2003 Polaris sportsman 500 ho

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought 2003 Polaris sportsman 500 ho

Just bought this machine today. Only has 121 hours on it and 643 miles. Just had carb cleaned oil changed and new belt put on. One of the axle boots slipped off on one side and on the other is torn. Any advice on where to find the part would be great? I payed 950 for it and it seems a little rough around the edges but I figured at that price I couldn't go wrong. All the gauges work all the lights work and 4 wheel drive works. I will try and post some pictures please let me know if you think I did okay. Definitely happy I waited for this instead of 87 Honda four tracks I was looking at or taotao.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:53 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Here's a good site either to buy or for oem part numbers.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus ebay example for cv boots.2201015 Polaris | eBay Plus considering if it runs good,a little spit and polish,decals if you wish and any missing parts and you'd still be ahead.Here's Kelley Blue Books price on one in excellent shape.http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/polar...0-ho-4x4/2003/

Old 03-14-2016, 12:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its hard to find any 4x4 quad that runs for under $1000. That's what you would normally pay for something like a Trailblazer. Other than replacing the axle boots, I'd just ride it the way it is. If it starts and runs fine, the cosmetic stuff doesn't matter that much in my opinion. I very nearly bought a similar Sportsman 500 for slightly more money before I got my Grizzly. I think they wanted $1250 for it. I think I ended up working that sat and I'm sure it sold that day. Deals like that don't last more than a day or 2.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:15 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like you're missing the screen that goes in front of the radiator.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
It looks like you're missing the screen that goes in front of the radiator.
Along with missing front and rear racks also,but for 900 bucks you can't beat it if it runs ok and not many repairs are needed.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thank you everyone for all your responses!

Apreciate all the replies! Took it out riding at my hunting lease and rode it hard for 3 hours straight! And dam surprised me how fast it was! I topped out at 56! Ran very strong whole time. Confirmed the switch for 4 wheel drive worked like a charm. All lights do work. High low / gauges work. Didn't see anything leaking oil or anything. What I can't understand how it's possible for a 13 yr old machine to have only 121 hours? Just seem unusually low for an atv of this age. Any thoughts on that appreciated? Only thing I did notice when two ppl ride the 4 wheeler is the back left wheel makes almost like a clicking noise every time same spot as the wheel rotates and seems to be worse when going slow and be gone or not noticeable when going faster. Any insight on what that may be would be great? Was thinking maybe just an axle bearing but idk could it be a cv joint? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Don't trust speedos as they can and have been changed out by people.. Clicking is usually a worn cv or plunging joint(one by the gear case) when you put a load on it. You can try to find the offending joint and replace it ,but usually the opposite one will start making noise later on. More expensive that way than to just replace the whole drive shaft assy and be done with it.Plenty of cheap ones on ebay.Polaris Sportsman 500 Rear Left or Right Drive Shaft 2003 2005 | eBay

Trending Topics

Old 03-17-2016, 06:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. What I can't understand how it's possible for a 13 yr old machine to have only 121 hours? Just seem unusually low for an atv of this age. Any thoughts on that appreciated?

Two years ago I bought a 2006 sportsman 500 ho with 28 miles on it , and a 2005 atp330 with 58 miles on it , the owner was the " proverbial " little old lady . They're out there , every now and then you stumble across them !

Old 03-17-2016, 08:27 AM
Trailblazer

On average it was driven a little more slowly than most quads. This one works out to about 5.31mph. Most average in the 7-9mph range, mine work out to 7.75 (and I feel i do a fair share of 20-35mph traveling but obviously alot of slower going too).

I took picked up a lower hour machine, my 2010 sporty had 42 hrs and 332 miles at 5 years, barely broken in. I quadrupled that in one year, woohoo!

Old 03-17-2016, 08:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Again don't trust speedos on a used machine unless it was owned by your mother. Real easy just to swap one out and I've seen plenty of examples over the years.Some changes were legitimate because somewhere over time they may have gone blank and owners replaced them,others replaced them just to entice buyers to "low mileage/hours" machines even though they may have way more than that and beaten to death.

Quick Reply: Just bought 2003 Polaris sportsman 500 ho