Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'03 700 Sportsman will not come out of diagnostic mode...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 700 Sportsman will not come out of diagnostic mode...

Hey guys, I bought an 03 700 a few weeks ago and have been lurking here to find info to fix it, shes running pretty good but I have a problem. The speedo is always in diagnostic mode and since tonight the speedo stays on and the and the needle is blinking, even with the key shut off. I just disconnected it for tonight but would like to resolve the problem asap. Everything seems to work on the bike AWD, lights etc, I'm thinking maybe a ground problem.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Disconnect the battery for a couple minutes and see if this helps. If not then the problem could be in the left control switch yellow button that toggles through the display or a problem in the display itself. Hope the Ducati electronics isn't playing a part in this. Best thing at this point is to look through the speedo trouble shooting guide and the wiring schematic from the manual.2003 Polaris Sportsman 700 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 06-11-2016, 07:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I was thinking that but I can toggle through the different modes with no problem, so I don't think it is a problem with the button. One of the receipts that came with the bike was for $579.00 and listed the part as an ignition kit, so think it was done. Is there a visual way to look to see if the ignition has been upgraded. It has been in diagnostic mode since I bought the bike but last night was the first time the lamp stayed lit and the speedo needle flashed even with the key out of the ignition. I went through the service manual wiring diagram and the constant power wire that comes from the ignition looked like the culprit and I thought maybe the key switch itself was the problem but speedo stayed on even though I disconnected the ignition switch. Some friends are going on a run today and since the bike works pretty good overall I might just say screw it and go and check the troubleshooting guide when I get back. Thanks again.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes you can check if the electronics has been updated. At that price sounds like it has. Under the front panel(if systems has been changed) you'll have a separate cdi and coil(Kokusan) The older Ducati had a combo cdi/coil pack unit. The speedo harness should have one red wire that has power at all times just for memory.Go through the trouble shooting guides on the speedo connector pin numbers,their functions and tests.Hopefully you can track it down.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Awesome, thanks

Old 06-12-2016, 02:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just happened to dawn on me that if the ignition system was replaced that the regulator was changed also. Check that connections are ok and that it's charging 14 volts or so back at the battery while at an idle.Could be one reason for the blinking if it isn't. One signal (rpms) does go to the speedo by way of the regulator also.Check that all grounds are firmly mounted either on the ignition coil mounting bracket or on a good spot on the frame. Dig deep down in the harness under the front panel as possible that all wires may not be connected or connected properly. Here's a good video on this ignition update kit that may be able to help some.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, I will check it out. I took it for a run on Saturday and have some issues to deal with, she overheated and I direct wired the fan in the middle of the woods and when I stopped about a half an hour later the fan motor started smoking and almost caught on fire. It also appears as though I might have to replace a front axle, oh well still worth what I paid for it... so far!

Old 06-13-2016, 09:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Shorted out fan sensors are usually the reason to have to hot wire a fan. You can use a Wells Sw526 sensor available at most auto stores for around 25 bucks versus 60 bucks for the oem sensor. Just use your connector and splice into the two leads. Fans are cheaper at these places than the dealer for the same Spal 11 inch fan.
http://www.the-fan-man.com/shop/-c-33.html
https://webstore.spalusa.com/en-us/p...rcycleatv.aspx