Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 sportsman wont starting issues

Old 10-21-2016, 05:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2004 sportsman wont starting issues

Ok I have a 2004 sportsman 700 efi, pretty low mileage for the year. Its 2200 km or miles, not sure what its in, its a Canadian Machine.

Anyways, last year the quad was running great, then winter time came and had troubles getting it going due to the cold weather, the cold weather would drain the battery and have weak starting power, always had to boost it with the charger to get it going. Anyways it came a time where the quad wouldnt start at all, just turn over and backfire really loud out the exhaust. So i let the quad sit there for about 8 months and I drove my honda.

Well this fall i wanted to move the polaris so i figured I would try to start it, Put the battery charger on it and it fired right up and ran great! i was like awesome its running again, So I park it infront of the garage. Go to start it a week later, it fired once, idled for about 3 seconds barely then stalled and wouldnt fire again. I pulled it in the garage and let it sit overnight on the trickle charger. It wouldnt start forever, backfired multiple times, finally hours later, with lots of cranking it fired up, backed fired a bunch of times, then ran normal. So again the next day it wont fire... My theory is the weak starting in the winter flooded the cylinder walls with fuel, and the spark plug so it wouldnt fire up. Leaving i sit for 8 months, it fired right up after the fuel all evaporated. Then when I got it going again, it soaked everything again. I checked the oil today and it smells like fuel and was over filled probably from the excess fuel from so much cranking. Do you think doing an oil change and new plugs will solve this issue? My plugs are pretty black but dont look wore out to me. If i clean the plugs off and heat them up with a lighter i can get the quad to fire a few times and back fire. I would of drained the oil earlier but the stupid drain plug allen keyhole was striped out. I got it off tonight with the impact and smacking a larger bit in the hole. I really want to get this quad going again. I checked it for spark and it is getting spark, and is getting plenty of fuel.

Is it possible since my engine was flooded with excess fuel it wouldnt let my quad start?

I was also reading about peoples wooddruff key coming loose. think that is my problem?
When i got the quad running i tested my battery and the stator was putting out a strong 14 volts, so my charging system is working. The battery was also brand new last fall before winter. I hate how this quad can only be starting by using the electric start, no pull rope.

I dont have the tools to check compression, but it ran great when running, and i have had it running since this problem, so would it run great with lots of power if compression was bad? it has tons of power, took it for a good rip when i moved the quad. Thanks for your input!

Old 10-21-2016, 05:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

i should also note, the quad was nearly empty when i started it, and i have put fresh fuel in it. like I would guess close to bone dry. thats why i took it for a good rip when i fired it up to burn off the old fuel remaining..... so i dont think its a fuel issue. I literally had to put fuel in it to get it going the first time this year, thats how empty it was.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:05 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Change the plugs like you mentioned.There is a fuel filter at the front of the machine leading to the fuel injectors that you can change also. Always run stabilizer in the fuel,load test the battery,replace if needed and keep the battery on a battery tender. Cold weather or just sitting sucks a battery down and using a jumper can possibly cause electrical problems. Hopefully not in this case. Once you have it running check the charging at an idle also. Should be charging at least 14 volts or you could have a regulator problem. If it continues to backfire or has any problems at an idle or when running,look at the wiring coming from the tbap and tps sensors for any bare wires or soft feeling wires that could have meted internally. Sensor harness repair kits are offered here if needed. https://otbpowersports.com/products/ Stronger than what Polaris offers.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

well good news! Changed the plugs and oil. Fired up first crank! I will go over the charging system thoroughly here after I just wanted to give an update. The day I got this battery I wasnt happy with how it started. I thought I got a bad battery. But I bet it was the plugs all along. This quad came with our acreage, so its new to me. You helped me before when i first got it with an overheating issue, the fan wouldnt kick on. I dont know what this forum would do without you OPT, you help everyone, its amazing. Do you have a go fund me or donation page set up. I think if you dont, you should be allowed to have one and it be a sticky on this forum. I was reading other peoples topics on this thread and you have helped so many people its truly amazing. you are a great person and your time you put towards helping others is truly appreciated.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:08 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Glad changing the plugs was all that it was.. Make sure on the charging and pick up some stabilizer and a cheap battery tender..

Old 11-26-2016, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 2004 Polaris sportsman 500 ATP will not start and the speedometer gauge does not light or turn on. Replaced the key switch and still does not click or gauge come on. Head light works when key turned on. Can be started bypassing the starter solenoid. No power going to the small wire going to the solenoid when key is turned to the start position.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Should be a main 20 amp circuit breaker on the left side of the frame under the rear fender area. Check that it has voltage on either side of the red wire leading out. If it doesn't slice the pouch open and you can replace this at any auto supply for around 7 bucks or so.If the breaker has power,it sends it to the left control switch then from this switch to the ignition switch. Spray some electrical spray cleaner into the left switch and work the on/off button back and forth. Check the connectors leading into the switch and if necessary check for any shorts under the front panel that could be stopping power from going to the ignition switch.Not unusual for the left control switch to have problems and need too be replaced also. Really can't take one apart without springs flying around.Especially check that the two connectors going into the switch are clean and tight. Have had some pull out a little and not make good contact or had dirty connections. Can also check the ignition switch wire resistance leading to the solenoid to make sure it isn't broken.