Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help with temp light 2011 Sportsman 550 X2

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with temp light 2011 Sportsman 550 X2

2011 Sportsman 550 X2 temp

Afternoon fellas! I recently bought my kids a 2011 Sportsman 550 X2. The bike is pretty much stock and all it needed was a rear diff, which I replaced with a 850 diff and deleted the turf mode. My kids have been riding the **** out of the thing, but I have noticed that the temp light kicks on once the bike is rode for about 30 mins. It will light up and then go off when the fan kicks on. I have checked to make sure thermostat is working and it is, radiator looks brand new, I have bled the system, got it hot and popped the cap open and added antifreeze etc. the bike is not overheating, the engine light never comes on and it never goes into limp mode. Fan works and all that, it just keeps tripping that light. Could it be the temp sending unit or the thermostat not opening until it gets to hot? Or could it be an issue with ecm which I have read about? Again, it is not over heating, but that light is driving me bonkers. This bike is new to me and I couldn't find anything like my issue on the forum, except bikes that were actually over heating. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-29-2016, 05:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

If you're not using or leaking coolant and the hot light only kicks on slightly before the fan kicks on,then could be the sensor is not in "sync" so to speak with the fan or actual engine temperature. You could try a new one Or get the manual and go through the check lists first to see if it might be something else. A fan pulling too many amps can cause a fan delay also allowing the hot light to trigger first. Here's a cheap manual for 5 bucks that goes through this.2011 Polaris Sportsman X2 550 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 10-29-2016, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you OPT! I was told on another forum that you know these bikes inside and out and that rings true! I have to order a few OEM pieces so will try the sensor to start since it's only $25 bucks or so. Little different working on this thing compared to the rzr's I normally do. They really stuff the motor/trans into these X2 bikes.