Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

cyclone 250x what do I need (electrical components)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 11:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cyclone 250x what do I need (electrical components)

I've got this old 250x for free from an old buddy and it runs great (after tweaking stuff here and there). Problem I ran into now the kill switch & key won't turn the machine off. I pretty much took the atv down to it's bones to inspect the wiring. I found no breaks/burns in the ground wiring, but holy cow it's a damn rats next. I believe the previous owner dabblled with the wiring and not 100% sure what's going on. I decided that I don't care about any of the lighting and was curious what is EXACTLY needed to run/stop this thing.

Is the voltage regulator needed if all the lighting is stripped? Do I need the Reverse speed limiter + override switch? Any/all help is much appreciated!

Old 11-07-2016, 10:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you can't kill it make sure the black wire from the cdi is plugged in. This is the kill circuit wire and also ties in with the ignition switch black wire. You can also ohm out the ignition switch itself. A bad one could be the problem. You can pull the limiter module as they all fail anyway. Once you get it running you'll have full power in reverse without having to push the over ride button on the left control switch. For lighting you do need the regulator,if you stripped all it it's not needed since there isn't a battery and starter on this old Cyclone.This is a simple old magneto triggered ignition. Doesn't need the battery or a starter. Recoil start only. Also check the emergency kill switch on the left handle bars also.