Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

06 sportsman 500 HO efi problems

Old 11-15-2016, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 sportsman 500 HO efi problems

My girlfriends oldest boy bought this machine a few months ago. It quit running on him and he had someone helping him diagnosis it. They installed a new ECM, but still does not start. He brought it to me over the weekend and I am not getting spark or fuel pressure. I pulled the fuel pump and it will run off of jumper wires. I am getting 9.5v between A and C wires and a service manual says 7v minimum needed. Using my voltmeter, I get the 9.5v with the key on or off. For some reason, if I use my power probe as a voltmeter, I do not get any voltage reading between A and C wires. I just popped the cover off of the thumb throttle and see that the contacts are open. I screwed the adjuster all of the way in and now the contacts are closed. I think that should fix the no spark issue.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm having issues with starter turning the engine over. I pulled starter apart and found some chips broken off of the magnets. I cleaned it up and installed it back on the engine. The starter spins if I use jumper cables right to the stud on the starter. If I hook up the battery cables to the battery and turn the key, all that happens is the starter relay on the frame starts clicking. I unhook the positive cable from the starter and check voltage thru the relay and cables, I can get battery voltage to that point. When I did spin the engine over, I still was not getting any spark.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

First off readjust the throttle cable to 1/8" slack at the thumb lever. This should allow the etc contacts to be open. Close points just retards timing or can kill the engine. The manual should show you adjustment on this. If you still don't have spark,check for any bare wire from the crank position sensor harness touching the starter. This can stop spark also.If the cps harness is ok and still no spark check the resistance on the stator since you said the flywheel is chipped.Not a bad idea to check the cps sensor and the face of the pick up coil also.Magnets chips may have damaged either one.The manual should have checks for it.If still no spark,the controller module at the front of the radiator could be at fault. Item#11.2006 Polaris SPORTSMAN 500 EFI (A06MH50AQ) Electrical /Ax/Ay/Az/Al/At | Cycle Parts Warehouse Also check the thin wiring harness on the tps and tbap as they can wear,common problem on them. Better harness kits are available than what Polaris has. https://otbpowersports.com/products/

Old 11-18-2016, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

An update. The module was replaced, not the ECM. The way I adjusted the throttle cable, gives me 1/8-1/4" slack. The contacts are closed until the slack is taken out with the thumb throttle. I am working on getting a correct service manual, but the PDF sent was for 09-12 models. I started checking for bad wiring. It is the starter magnets that are chipped, not stator. I was told but have not verified that the ECM has a rattle inside when they shook it. They may have meant the module. I'm wondering if it isn't a circuit breaker that broke loose. This machine has had a bad life, due to the previous owner.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedekad
The module was replaced, not the ECM. The way I adjusted the throttle cable, gives me 1/8-1/4" slack. The contacts are closed until the slack is taken out with the thumb throttle. se I am working on getting a correct service manual, but the PDF sent was for 09-12 models. I started checking for bad wiring. It is the starter magnets that are chipped, not stator. I was told but have not verified that the ECM has a rattle inside when they shook it. They may have meant the module. I'm wondering if it isn't a circuit breaker that broke loo. This machine has had a bad life, due to the previous owner.
Contacts still don't need to touch as the etc switch is designed to either kill the machine directly or retard spark. Pop the throttle cap,adjust the cable slack to where the contact points don't touch. Cable stretch can be the cause of this also.
This adjustment didn't change even with the later models.https://www.manualslib.com/manual/84...age=330#manual