Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Little help please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little help please!

Hi my name is Stefan. I am a medically retired army CPL that got hurt it Iraq, I can't work so I do projects at home and keep busy that way. My latest project is a UTV / off road kart. I am using a polaris 400 express 2x4 transmission and engine on the utv/ off road kart I built and I am having a problem while accelerating with the transmission. When I accelerate hard the transmission seems to pop in and out of gear. I have put my fingers on the shift cam on the transmission and it seems to want to rotate or push and I can feel it as it pops out of gear. It immediatly goes back into gear but, I don't want to damage the transmission. I have a new rear sprocket, front sprocket, o-ring chain and silent chain on the way. The transmission is shifted using the polaris shifter, but I had to use push pull control cables to connect the shifter to the transmission. In your collective opinion would these parts fix this issue or what would I need to fix this issue? Thanks for your time and experience.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like the silent chain that you do have ordered may be the problem. This was a common problem on slipping while in gear. You'll know real quick when you split the case. The silent chain will be very loose instead of being snug. If a shift fork or engagement dogs teeth could be worn also not allowing full gear engagement,they still show to have many of these parts available. Unlike a lot of older model gear case parts that are NLA. Doesn't really matter whether you use the shift box or push/pull cables as long as it allows good engagement. May even be better than using the shift box as internal parts wear along with linkage ends and a lot of these parts are NLA.Thanks for your service Corporal.1996 Polaris XPRESS 300 (W969530) Gearcase Xpress 300 & Xpress 400 W969540 | Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 11-22-2016, 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would a loose silent chain affect high gear? I checked the transmission and the silent chain is very loose but there's no other damage and the forks look brand new with a paper thin groove on the high gear side of the fork. Thank you old polaris tech, I read a lot of your other posts before joining. Your knowledge is a big part of the reason I joined this forum.

Old 11-23-2016, 03:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

More than likely the old silent chain problem as forward gear runs off the chain and if it gets too loose it just jumps sprocket teeth.Reverse is gear to gear and hardly ever a problem. Make sure you check the slider gear(dog gear) for any rounded edges and the opposing gear also and that they mate together easily to rule out needing these replaced also.