Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Starting issues

Old 11-27-2016, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issues

2007 sportsman 800 x2 efi
We use this as a work horse in yard, not run as much as it should . always had battery issue of some sort since day one. Needing to boost before use. normaly get clicking when key is turned, boost then she good for the day . kind of pain to get cables on so we relocated battery box to dump body bought a NEW: battery, starter, solenoid, plugs, still getting same clicking. What am I'm I missing ?

Last edited by barbandjimmy; 11-27-2016 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Forgot important detail
Old 11-28-2016, 12:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check cables and connections first.When you do get it running what does the voltage at the battery show while at an idle? Should be around 14-14.5 volts. If less than 14 volts then you can be using more voltage than what's being replaced. This in itself can weaken any battery over time and would need a boost to crank. If this is the case the regulator is located close to the radiator. You can also check that the three yellow stator wires leading to the regulator check out. Should be some resistance between each yellow with no yellow shorting to ground.Voltage Regulator Rectifier For Polaris RANGER / SPORTSMAN / RZR 800 4012384 | eBay Plus you need the correct 30 amp battery for this big twin to crank.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issues

Thank you for responding, voltage regulator was replaced last about 3 months ago still no change, its had 3 winches, 2 under warranty, 1 a lighter duty that I installed bypassing original wringing all together, ( thought there was too much draw ) winch would cut out plowing, now we use a make shift hand crank boat winch lol you should see I'm proud.. sorry to get off trac. I will check voltage again thanks