Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need Help Electrical Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 02:15 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Electrical Issue?

yes hello to all and i hope u guys and gals are doing well. okay so this morning i went to go do my chores on my farm and started my atv up and she fired right up. i shut her off to feed my dog and when i went to go and start her up again no dice. it didnt even attempt to turn over the engine, and i lost all lights to my dashboard. that is after i pushed the start button, it will start up through the pull rope, so then i thought to myself it is pretty freacking cold here the last week or so with about a foot of snow on the ground maybe the batterys low but it wasnt i put it on the charger and it read that it was at a 100%. but thats all i did since it was so cold outside tomorrow i am going to refill my propane garage heater so i can work on the atv outside so i thought why not come and check with the community for any ideas on what it could be. so basically it is acting like there is no battery hooked up t it i did do a quick check on the connections everything seemed to be fastened and connected.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
RUBEN

Old 12-15-2016, 02:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check the battery connections, plus if you have a load tester to rule the battery itself out.If all this is ok then sounds like you need to replace the 20 amp circuit breaker up from the battery.They can blow at any time. Some may click back on others wont. Depends on the load and age of the thermal breaker.Test if you have power on the side of the breaker leading to the front of the harness. If not,just slice the pouch open and replace it.Plus another common area is the left control switch.Make sure the connectors are clean and tight,plus work the on off switch back and forth.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:32 PM
Range Rover

yeah im prety sure that it isnt the battery like i said i checked the connections so u say it could be the 20 amp breaker, that sucks considering i replaced that within the last couple years with an OEM one. oh well i will check it out tomorrow.
THANKS AGAIN FOR FAST REPLY OPT
RUBEN

Old 12-15-2016, 02:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If it's the breaker again just get one from a local auto supply for a few bucks.Wells Vehicle Electronics Circuit Breaker CBR20: Advance Auto Parts Again no power to light or ignition can also be left control switch related if there is voltage on each side of the 20 amp main breaker. Power may be getting to the control switch but no where else.Just something else to check out

Old 12-15-2016, 03:43 PM
Range Rover

thanks opt is there a temp. fix if i have to wait for a new 20 amp breaker.
THANKS
RUBEN

Old 12-15-2016, 05:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Bypassing the circuit breaker but wouldn't recommend it. Breakers can fail because of age or corrosion but a problem else where could have tripped it also. If you wired it up straight you could cause more problems or even burn up a wiring harness or cdi,etc. Just get another breaker if needed. Temporary inline fuse,but may not last.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:17 PM
Range Rover

okay great
THANKS OPT
RUBEN

Old 12-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Range Rover

Success!!! SO let me start off with my multi-meter wasnt working correctly (turns out to be a good thing but more on that in a sec). so yesterday i took out my multi-meter right i decided to start at the battery becuz it is the easiest thing to get at plus per OPT instructions. I did not getting any readings at all. so im sitting there perplexed as ever, so then i thought to my self the connections are probably dirty. they were semi caked in mud. I proceed to take out my battery and the connections seemed to be on and tight. so after i take out the battery i go to put the multi-meter leads on and still nothing and i know i have got some type of juice there whether it is 12 volts or not that another story right. Well i double check the connections on my multi-meter and i'll be darned if the connections on the multi-meter weren't loose, So i clean up the the connections on the battery and the wires that hook up to the battery with a wire brush. i put the battery back in, so then i think to myself now on to the next thing the 20 amp breaker right so before i go tearing into this thing let me go ahead and check and see if she'll start up and i'll be darned if she didnt start right up. i even took her out to make sure she didnt do the same ol thing and she hasnt. i dont know if the connections on the battery were loose or not contacting good enough, or what her deal was. but im overall happy i got her fixed in under 30 min. So you see it was a good thing that my multi-meter didnt read the battery volts because it caused me to take out the battery and clean her up and connect her back up nice and tight. Man talk about LuCkY.
THANKS OPT FOR YOUR HELP AS ALWAYS
RUBEN

Old 12-17-2016, 10:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

All it takes is a little corrosion,bad connection,etc. Sometimes simply moving cables around and tightening will do the trick. A lot of people over think the problem and miss simple things. Glad it's up and running.

Old 12-17-2016, 02:13 PM
Range Rover

Me too OPT.
THANKS AGAIN
RUBEN