Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 500 H.O. Randomly dies.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 08:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 500 H.O. Randomly dies.

I have a 2005 sportsman 500 that I recently replaced the carb in. Before, it would take 10-20 min of it running before you could even attempt to move it. But after it was warm it was generally reliable,
With the new carb it fired right up and idles better and only takes a few min of idling before I can move but I've noticed a few issues;
- When it's idling it stays around 1300. But randomly dies.
- the RPMS randomly go up. (I was plowing last night and I stopped for a min and it was idling at 1900)

Old 12-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check the jetting on the new carb with the old one. If you bought one of those Zoom Zoom Chinese knock offs jetting's probably not the same. Plus part of this may be mechanical. Check your valve clearance if you haven't already..006 intake and exhaust. Just make sure on the carb jetting,fuel supply from the pump is good,valve clearances are ok. Idle speed should be around 1080-1180 rpms or so after warmed up. Plus something else that can cause problems is the old ecm module problems that can affect ignition,charging,fan operation,etc.Eliminate the other things first.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would the throttle safety sensor cause this issue also? When it's idling normally it will just randomly die, the motor doesn't bog down and the rpm is normal but it just shuts off. How many turns is a typical pilot screw sit at, I did 2.5 turns out?

Also unrelated, which ring do you normally set the e-clip at on the needle jet?

Old 12-19-2016, 12:10 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Make sure you have 1/8" slack only at the thumb throttle. Too much and the contacts can close and the machine will die or if too close the contacts can arc and kill the machine.
Typical fuel/pilot screw adjustment is 2-2.5 turns out.Even better if you have the carb tool that can fine tune the idle when warm. E clip normal position is second notch from the top. Look at this pdf section on carbs from the manual and see if it helps.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...U2gGlaHJWSIlbA Plus the float level setting on the BST40 carb that you should have is critical. This site goes into detail on this model carb.On a Ktm but internals are the same as yours.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347184