Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Small oil leak when engine running

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small oil leak when engine running

When the engine is running, I have a small oil leak. Trying to pinpoint source without tearing everything apart. This is from the left side, directly behind the water pump. Vey minor leak, but still something I need to fix. Small brown streak running from top to bottom.

Leak runs from top to bottom

Old 01-06-2017, 02:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Check the clamps and hoses for breaks at the oil inlet and return lines. If that's good then the most other common area for leaks was on the copper washers on the metal oil lines behind the clutch backing plate.

Attached Thumbnails Small oil leak when engine running-5480e004.gif  
Old 01-06-2017, 03:28 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Check the clamps and hoses for breaks at the oil inlet and return lines. If that's good then the most other common area for leaks was on the copper washers on the metal oil lines behind the clutch backing plate.
Not the oil inlet and return. I bet it's the washers on the metal oil lines. Looks like I'll have to take the clutch backing plate off to get access.

Thanks again.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:43 AM
Range Rover

I'm pretty sure it's not the hoses, clamps or washers. Found another thread for a different machine with same problem. They have a better picture: http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14568&d=1383423302

What should I look at next? 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 01-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Crank case breather line could even be the problem also that's located behind the oil inlet and return or the copper washers on the metal delivery lines. Either way best to remove the clutches and backing plate and you can find it.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:39 PM
Range Rover

Crank case breather line could even be the problem also that's located behind the oil inlet and return or the copper washers on the metal delivery lines. Either way best to remove the clutches and backing plate and you can find it.
Funny you should say that. It looked like it was coming from the breather line, but I ruled that out because it's not supposed to have anything in it other than air. The one end by the spring lock was very dirty. I took it off and cleaned off the hose to look at it.

I'll take off the clutches and backing plate if needed, but of course that's not a minor project.

To rule out the breather line - what can I do? The hose looks like it's in good shape, it took a good tug to get off. And the spring was tight and seemed to be in place. Should I just replace that piece of hose and spring lock? Parts #12 and #13 on the air box diagram? And/or #42 and 43 on the Engine Mounting diagram.
http://pi54.com/corp/manuals/parts/9914925r01.pdf

Old 01-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Take the backing plate off first.All you may have to do is cut a little off each hose end and refit the clamps if the hose isn't damaged elsewhere.I've done that several times. Hoses get worn and crack at the fittings mainly and leak. Plenty enough hose to cut some off each end. Don't over look the metal delivery lines and washers. Had plenty of leaks coming from this area also over the years.