Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sport 400 Common Issues/Flaws?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport 400 Common Issues/Flaws?

So ive had my sport for about 2 - 3 months but havent been riding it much due to cold weather. Ive heard about the counterbalance and piston skirt issue but was wondering if there was anything else that i should be aware of.

Any feedback would be great.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes best to keep a check on the counter balancer fluid as a leaking water pump will show up here first. Oil will be milky if the w/p seals are leaking. Breaking piston skirts for the most part was usually caused by letting pistons go too far. Granted these cast pistons were brittle compared to a good forged piston.If it's time for a top end(engine sounds like marbles in a tin can) go to an over size Wiseco piston kit.Oil pumps were another problem. Could freeze up for corrosion and cause engine damage. Main reason because the pump is on the front of the engine,exposed to the elements. This is one pump I'd bypass and just premix. A simple 6mm bolt in the intake manifold to block it off,drain the oil tank and remove the injector hose and adapter that runs to the intake.Lot of parts in this engine and you just need to stay on top of maintenance also.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, so if i make sure to keep the atv clean of mud and dirt near the oil pump then it should be ok? I normally store it in an unheated shed.

thank you for your help.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Not only near the oil pump,but inside the oil pump housing. Kinda hard to get to the 3 bolts on the front cover,but remove this,clean any water or mud with contact spray and I would spray the whole pump with a good penetrant or even a good coat of lithium spray lube.This can extend the life of the spring and pump wheel and protect them from corrosion.After this wouldn't hurt to use a little rtv sealant around the rubber gasket on the pump housing before you replace the cover.