Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Replacing starter woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing starter woes

Replacing the starter on a 2004 500 scrambler. I had hoped that I could get it out without pulling the clutch, driven clutch and covers. But it does have to come off. Problem... the clutch is not coming off. I have the tool and have done it 20 times but it is not budging. My impact usually gets the job done. Trying to manually requires holding the clutch. I fear I will break the clutch arms. I have tapped the shaft with pressure. I am asking for advice before I break something.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Squirt some PB blaster/Liquid Wrench in the hole and let it soak in a while.Lean the atv over a little if you have to.
Blast the inside with a propane torch then screw in the remover and impact the devil out of it. Yes hammering the end of the puller tool helps also. I've had to do plenty of clutches like this that seemed like they were welded on and the they would usually just pop off.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Squirt some PB blaster/Liquid Wrench in the hole and let it soak in a while.Lean the atv over a little if you have to.
Blast the inside with a propane torch then screw in the remover and impact the devil out of it. Yes hammering the end of the puller tool helps also. I've had to do plenty of clutches like this that seemed like they were welded on and the they would usually just pop off.
I will give it a try. I do appreciate you helping us all out, sharing your knowledge.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Now, while it sets soaking, I need to go back to that recoil spring that I pulled out to clean. Like a retracting tape measure, if it gets dirty, it will not retrieve correctly. I tried and tried. I better see if the manual reveals a trick to getting it back in place. LOL, I had to walk away from it for a mental break

Old 02-04-2017, 05:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by 1gr8bldr
Now, while it sets soaking, I need to go back to that recoil spring that I pulled out to clean. Like a retracting tape measure, if it gets dirty, it will not retrieve correctly. I tried and tried. I better see if the manual reveals a trick to getting it back in place. LOL, I had to walk away from it for a mental break
Recoil spring is a bear if it ever unwinds. You have to have strong hands,start out as small as you can on the coil windings and try to slip the coiled spring in cover and lock the spring tab in place.Not a job I liked doing myself.

Old 02-04-2017, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Recoil spring is a bear if it ever unwinds. You have to have strong hands,start out as small as you can on the coil windings and try to slip the coiled spring in cover and lock the spring tab in place.Not a job I liked doing myself.
Do you fit first the coil in the case housing or the plastic pulley like cord holder?

Old 02-05-2017, 09:17 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The case itself.A new factory spring had a wire around it to hold in place,then you slowly removed the wire and the spring expanded.This guy in the video uses some sort of big clip that does the same thing. That's why I said to get the spring coil as small as possible then you can lock the spring hook in the tab and slip the spring in the housing..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA4efK9fAFw

Old 02-06-2017, 06:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate the help. Have not started the spring yet but the clutch came right off after soaking, jacked up on it's side

Old 02-06-2017, 05:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

When an impact and bfh doesn't remove one then it's time for penetrant and at times heat may be needed on really stubborn clutches. Glad you got it off..