Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Outlaw 450MXR

Old 02-04-2017, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlaw 450MXR

Hey, how many of you have an Outlaw 450mxr still? It seems like any thread I get when searching for info is old news. I'm worried that my buy may have been a mistake.
When I cross reference part #'s etc nothing comes up, but try this, try that... My Polaris dealer was kind've useless to get parts from. I have found filters, grease, plugs.... But am unclear as to what oil to use.. One site was trying to sell me 10W-40 which I know is a no no..

Also, its an 08, would it be advised that I start replacing bearings and bushings???

I also came across a few threads of guys saying their reverse cable is seized?!?
Is there a lube to put in cable linings to prevent this....

Please be gentle, it's my first time...

Old 02-04-2017, 08:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Engine parts if ever needed and if not available from Polaris can be gotten from Ktm dealers.Plus they'd have the filters also. Bearings,bushings,etc should be available for a couple more years or so,but if you plan on keeping it,then you can either use Polaris parts or since bearings have a universal number on them,you may be able to get these locally or on ebay,etc. Maintenance comes quick on this machine with valve checks and oil changes. Many have gone to Rotella T6 5w40 as it's cheaper than a lot of synthetics and jaso rated,no friction modifiers to harm clutches.Best thing I suggest first off is a service manual.2008 Polaris Outlaw 450 MXR Service Manual PDF Download

Old 02-04-2017, 08:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks... this very exciting for me, but my mechanical side SCREAMS maintenance maintenance maintenance... I really appreciate any insight I can get from this experience.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by weekendoutlaw
but my mechanical side SCREAMS maintenance maintenance maintenance...
Yes on this machine it does as it's a screaming dirt bike engine mounted into an atv frame.A full blown racing machine that does require more maintenance than say a Scrambler 500 or even a Predator 500.That's what got a lot of lazy people in trouble with these machines if they didn't keep up with maintenace. The manual can help.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Engine parts if ever needed and if not available from Polaris can be gotten from Ktm dealers.Plus they'd have the filters also. Bearings,bushings,etc should be available for a couple more years or so,but if you plan on keeping it,then you can either use Polaris parts or since bearings have a universal number on them,you may be able to get these locally or on ebay,etc. Maintenance comes quick on this machine with valve checks and oil changes. Many have gone to Rotella T6 5w40 as it's cheaper than a lot of synthetics and jaso rated,no friction modifiers to harm clutches.Best thing I suggest first off is a service manual.2008 Polaris Outlaw 450 MXR Service Manual PDF Download
Thank you.... I just purchased and printed the service manual.... it's awesome....