Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 Sportsman 400 - Bendix or Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 08:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Sportsman 400 - Bendix or Starter?

I have a 2005 Sportsman 400 that I replaced the Starter and Bendix right at a year ago with an aftermarket/inexpensive (imported) replacement with 1 year warranty. About 8 months into it, either the starter or bendix started screeching loudly every time I started the unit. Rather than spend $250-$350 for an OEM starter and another $100+ for an OEM bendix, I opted for another aftermarket.

Reason for this post is I'm trying to figure out if it's the starter or bendix that I should focus on and spend the extra $$$. I thought maybe the starter, but have been told it's likely the bendix (not disengaging properly or fast enough due to a broken part inside).

These aren't the easiest things to get in/out, or I would change them one at a time.

Looking for suggestions.
Thank you, Kelly

Old 02-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Best wasy to find out is to wiggle the bendix out and crank over the starter. If the noise is gone it's the bendix.Most common to have problems was on the bendix as it takes the brunt of starting. Don't over look the bushings in the recoil housing and the engine case that it rides in also. If worn they need to be replaced. I had the screeching noise before,had some that just spun,didn't engage the flywheel and some that were hard to disengage from the flywheel.Wouldn't hurt to clean and grease the bendix up ever 6 months or so and check that it's working properly.Hopefully you can get better life out of one.Polaris even used to have a "special" bendix grease,but it was just a fine high temp lithium based all purpose grease that you can get anywhere.