Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Slow 4x4 engagement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 04:39 PM
tux
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow 4x4 engagement?

While plowing to day I noticed the front end was slow to engage on my 2008 500ho. Now it does engage but takes a little time. I have not had time to ckeck the front end yet but I suspect that it is low on fluid because the last time I checked it a month ago it was quite Iow I suspect this is my problem. The thing is I can not see anything leaking on the floor when it is parked. Where is the fluid going does it leak only when it is operating? Has anyone else come across this problem before? Any help would be great as there is more snow on the way and I do not want to damage the front end Thanks Tux.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Seal leaking at the front cover or seals on the case side usually. If fluid is low,may be a little thick possibly that the armature plate is erratic to drag the roller cage down often enough so the output hubs can engage.Or can be the old problem of the plastic roller cage cracking causing this. If you have to end up tearing it down,new seals and fresh fluid doesn't help,replace the roller cage with a stronger aluminum one.Plenty of these on ebay now.Plastic cages will go sooner or later.
2008 Polaris SPORTSMAN 500 HO (A08MH50AX/AZ) Drive Train, Front Gearcase | Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 02-11-2017, 05:06 PM
tux
Trailblazer

Thank you very much for the info I will reckeck and see if I have any leaks around front seals. I will repost with results Tux

Old 02-12-2017, 01:17 PM
tux
Trailblazer
Default Slow 4x4

I rechecked the front end and may of had to add 2oz at the most. The capacity is 9oz so that does not seam like a lot to me. The 4x4 worked great while finishing my driveway about 200ft was left to do but at the end it started to act up with slow engagement.. I am going to drive into the city tomorrow to get demand fluid and change out the front 4x4 oil do u think this will help? I rechecked for oil leaks on the front end and could not see or feel any. I am holding that new clean oil will help engagement. Thanks Tux.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

If a fresh fluid change solves the problem consider yourself very lucky. Clean the seal areas up and keep a close check on fluid level and for leaks. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:31 PM
tux
Trailblazer
Default Slow 4x4

Once again thank you very much for the info. I know an oil change is a long shot but I am do in the while for a change so I will try it and monitor the oil level. Tux