Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ball joint removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joint removal

Got the scrambler running in tip top shape now so I am working on the front suspension. The ball joint on the one side was, from what I thought, completely wore out. I took the a arm off only to find out the guy cross threaded the castle nut and it wasn't tight so that's why there was all the play. The threads are shot so now I am at a loss on how to pull this bugger out since it needs decent threads for a puller to work like in the manual. How do I get this thing out? The strut is aluminum but can I heat it up and how hot? The a arm bushings were a breeze and now I am stuck with the ball joints since I can finish this machine.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 02-15-2017, 01:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Heat the devil out of the strut and see if you can use a grease gun on the zerk to push it out. Some have been able to do it that way.Others just clamped vice grips and were able to tap it out,that is if the ball didn't come out of the socket. That's where welding a bolt inside the cup and using a slide hammer comes into play. Once out just throw the new joint in the freezer and heat the strut up again.Helps if you have a socket that would fit and seat it,but if hot enough it can be driven in by tapping around the side with a punch as long as you don't burr the edges where the plate won't fit over it.Plus several videos on you tube.Some are even funny.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks OPT,

I forgot about the grease zerk. I will try that trick first. I have been using the vice grip method but this little fella ain't budging. I'm just worried about how hot I can get the aluminum strut. Heat always makes stuff move easier but I don't want to damage a perfectly good strut either, lol.

Thanks,
Mike