Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Driveshaft shortage

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft shortage

how can i extend my driveshaft(the one coming from the engine to the front diff U joint) it's about half an inch to short, is there any cheap couplers i can buy or whats my options?

thansk guys

Old 02-25-2017, 05:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You order one that's too short? Just read another post on you removing engine mount bolts. If this is the oem shaft,sounds like you need to loosen things up and fit the prop shaft first if you can.Don't know it the diff has any wiggle room also,would be nice if it did.

Last edited by old polaris tech; 02-25-2017 at 06:01 PM. Reason: engine mounting
Old 02-25-2017, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
You order one that's too short? Just read another post on you removing engine mount bolts. If this is the oem shaft,sounds like you need to loosen things up and fit the prop shaft first if you can.Don't know it the diff has any wiggle room also,would be nice if it did.
The only thing I bought was a new frame! which is identical and the old frame it seemed to connect nicely! maybe i got to loosen things up but all the engine mounts fit nicely so i believe the engine IS where it needs to be, i may try moving the front diff but that also bolted up nicely

Old 02-25-2017, 06:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I know the feeling as we had to replace damaged frames at the shop also.Even with the same frame we had a few problems on making thing back to the way they were.If loosening things up isn't enough then that's where you may have to make adjustments on the mount positions and possibly the front diff mounting holes to make up the difference. Wasn't unusual for us to have to die grind some holes a tad larger or longer to get old parts in a new frame. Doesn't seem like you'd have to result to that since frames are made in a jig,holes are supposedly drilled in the same spots,etc but just a little variance in engine mounts,minor differences on engine and diff mounting holes themselves can add up. Frame replacement was a job that a lot of times we flipped coins to see who was stuck with the job..

Old 02-25-2017, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
I know the feeling as we had to replace damaged frames at the shop also.Even with the same frame we had a few problems on making thing back to the way they were.If loosening things up isn't enough then that's where you may have to make adjustments on the mount positions and possibly the front diff mounting holes to make up the difference. Wasn't unusual for us to have to die grind some holes a tad larger or longer to get old parts in a new frame. Doesn't seem like you'd have to result to that since frames are made in a jig,holes are supposedly drilled in the same spots,etc but just a little variance in engine mounts,minor differences on engine and diff mounting holes themselves can add up. Frame replacement was a job that a lot of times we flipped coins to see who was stuck with the job..
I could grind the holes SLIGHTLY larger( maybe 1/8th of a inch) but there isnt much left on the mount since one bolt is on the edge sort of, I will take a look tomorrow, I called it quits tonight and hauled out the beer because of the headache LOL