Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Float bowl question

Old 03-04-2017, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Float bowl question

We have our carburetor apart. I see the float rods that the floats slide up and down on, have a little cap on top. Never seen this before, in my limited experience. What are they for?

We have the carb apart because it is spewing fuel out the overflow. Suspect the float valve. Does anyone know the measurement to set the float height. We have it at 23 mm now.

It is a 1994 400 L 2 stroke

Attached Thumbnails Float bowl question-img_0379.jpg  
Old 03-05-2017, 01:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Caps were to keep the floats from sliding off when you removed the bowl but not needed for the carb to work right once the carb is back together. I've found plenty of these caps missing or eaten up by gas over the years. Get this good quality carb kit.Shindy Carb Repair Kit 03-404/03-0404 Polaris Sportsman,Xplorer,Sport,400L 94-95 | eBay These older Mikuni VM30/34 carbs float arms sit parallel with the gasket surface on the carb when held upside down.If the float arms are wobbly and worn,replace them and the float pin. Here's a pic of a similar Mikuni carb with the float arm correct. Bend the small tab if needed for adjustment.

Attached Thumbnails Float bowl question-mikuni_float_arm_level.jpg  
Old 03-05-2017, 07:23 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks.
The little end caps have been removed and will stay off. I like to shake the floats a little to be sure there is no liquid inside, whenever i have them off.

Rebuild kit has been ordered.

Our float needle valve had quite a grove in it , which is likely the source of our leaking problem. For fun we put the needle in a electric drill and using 1200 sand paper took the groove out. Then used polishing compound to bring the tip back to mirror finish. Also put polish compound on a Q tip and cleaned up the the brass housing the needle goes into. We will see if it works, for the 2 weeks when the new bits arrive.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by shortrun
Rebuild kit has been ordered.
For fun we put the needle in a electric drill and using 1200 sand paper took the groove out. Then used polishing compound to bring the tip back to mirror finish. Also put polish compound on a Q tip and cleaned up the the brass housing the needle goes into. We will see if it works, for the 2 weeks when the new bits arrive.
Get the kit All this does is just enlarge the seat area and the worn needle will wallow around and leak more.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:11 AM
Trailblazer

Agreed
Thanks