Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tranny Noise....Is this normal????

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We recently baught a 2001 TrailBoss and the other day I noticed that the tranny makes a "click,click,click" noise when I leave off the gas and start to slow down right before it starts to free wheel. Especially going down hill. Is this normal for the Polaris Quads with out the EBS?????? Thanks.
2000 Mojave
2001 TrailBoss

Old 04-16-2001, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

Are you sure its your transmission? The chain on my Xplorer seems to bang against the chain guard under the same circumstances that you're describing. This clicking noise you talk about could just be the chain.

Old 04-16-2001, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

I didn't really pay a lot of attention to it, but it seemed to be coming from the left side by my foot at the tranny. It did it right before it started free wheeling so I figured it to be normal, but thought I'd ask just in case. I mean it works fine otherwise.

Old 04-17-2001, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider

My Xplorer has done that for over 3700 miles. As best I can guess it is the belt getting enough slack to just barely hit the belt guard every now and then. Mine doesn't do it every time, just once in a while. I even took off the belt cover to be sure everything was OK and it seemed to be, so I suspect that is normal.

Old 04-17-2001, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer

I also replaced my PVT belt yesterday with the factory Polaris belt. It is a little wider and shorter than the old belt. I thought that this was normal from streaching and wear though. After I put the new belt on I cannot stop with my explorer in gear or it will stall. In nutreal it is fine but in any gear it will stall if I stop. I was reading in the book where you can add shims to the drive pully and it will give you more slack in the belt. Has anyone tried this or know if it will keep me from stalling.

Old 04-17-2001, 03:45 PM
Range Rover

It most likely is your clutch weights when you let off the gas they have some movement and will make a ticking sound. It does the same thing when you accelerate however you can't hear it because of the engine noise.

The noise is not very loud right?

Famosrichit
polaris has a couple differrent belts I think you got the wrong one there is a 3211069 and a 3211077 if you have the 69 on your bike now switch to the 77 and it should fix it. Your bike also creeps along when you put it in gear too right? I just had that problem with my buddies sportsman and it was stalling his bike too.

Old 04-17-2001, 04:16 PM
Trailblazer

I'd call it more of a run than a creep, but yeah it does Bubba thanks for the help.

Old 04-17-2001, 04:33 PM
Range Rover

your welcome glad to be able to help out.It took me about 1 1/2 hours to figure it out, and a secondary clutch disassembly.

Old 04-17-2001, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider

No the noise isn't what I would consider loud, it's just enough that I thought I'd ask for some opinions. Thanks for the input! I figured I would just kind of pay attention to it to see if it got worse or anything like that, I still have just over 5 months on the warranty so I figured there was no need to panic. Thanks again.

Old 04-18-2001, 09:42 AM
BK
Pro Rider

Coming from other brands to Polaris, I noticed all kinds of noises when I first got my T Boss. Now that I have had it for 6 months the noises are probably still there I just don't notice them. Although I do get extra noise if my chain is loose. I do remember kinda freaking out from the noise it made in the conditions you are talking about. I was always paranoid that something would be falling apart since I had heard that Polaris was such junk! Six months of HARD riding later, It has never had a real problem and I am no longer paranoid. Oh yeah, have you learned the trick of kinda giving it a little throttle off and on down a hill? It gives you quite a bit of engine braking. BK

Quick Reply: Tranny Noise....Is this normal????