Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Blown out front axle

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 02:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown out front axle

So I have a 1998 Polaris scrambler 500 4x4, I just finished replacing the rear axle bearings and took it out for a ride in the snow, and of course now the front axle is messed up. havent really torn it apart and looked yet but I know the clutch the engages the 4x4 is destroyed. My question is what all should I replace when I fix it? Should I do the wheel bearings as Well? having a hard time finding the part online. Found one made by caltric for $95 on eBay. Anyone have any experience with them?

FRONT WHEEL HUB CLUTCH KIT FITS POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500 1996-2002 | eBay

Old 03-26-2017, 02:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Main thing is to inspect the coil sleeve and the inner pole of the strut for any grinding down or damage. This is what holds the armature plate.If there is damage you either need to replace the coil sleeve and coil or buy a new strut assembly.Here's a guy that replaced his on Polaris atv forum.AWD Hubstrut Hilliard Clutch Troubleshooting/Diagnoses - Polaris ATV Forum The kit price isn't bad IF you do need the hilliard and bearings,but you may be able to save at least the bearings. It includes the hub seal,but you need to replace the hub strut seal if you pull the drive shaft out also. #3610028. It all depends on what you find damaged.

Attached Thumbnails Blown out front axle-s-l225.jpg  
Old 03-29-2017, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Old 03-29-2017, 06:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Problem is that there are 4 bearings and races total if you count the strut bearings,plus the strut seal I posted. You may be able to save the bearings,but before I ordered anything I'd tear it down to see what all's damaged.The kit you show just mainly covers the hilliard and armature plate,two bearings and the hub seal.There may be more damage.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Has anyone have any experience with caltric? Am integer off buying a different brand? I had a caltric starter for another bike and it turned out to be wired back wards.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:17 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

From what's been posted some Caltric electronic parts are hit or miss. As far as their mechanical hub package,shouldn't be a problem. Even the hub seal looks like the oem green one.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Cool, hopefully they are good. Gonna pull the hub apart later today and see what all is broke