Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1999 Sportsman 500 Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 02:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Sportsman 500 Won't start

ATV was running fine but the battery has been struggling on the cold mornings. Parked it at night alongside the house on a slight incline left to right. The next morning I installed a new battery. The ATV cranked over real nice but would not start. Let it sit for a bit and tried again. I noticed a gas smell after turning it over for 15 to 20 seconds so it seems like it is getting fuel. Tried a bit of starting spray but to no avail. Pulled the plug and grounded it while turning it over but not getting any spark. Visually, the plug looks to be in good shape still (It was put in new last year). What would be the best things to check and in the best order. I'll have a new plug this afternoon (just in case) but I'm looking at what else I could check to hopefully get the parts ordered in time for delivery before the weekend. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Easy things first as you say, a new plug.Plus you can pull the plug cap off and check for spark with the bare wire. While you're at it pull the black wire from the reverse limiter module as it can affect spark also.Also the manual says to pull the black kill wire from the cdi. If you have spark after that,the ignition switch or left control switch or wiring could be the problem.Plus outside in the cold,could be moisture in the stator area. That'd be the last thing to check without going to the manual. A little dirt/corrosion on the pick up coil or flywheel can cause a no spark condition.Just clean the area up with electrical cleaner and seal the cover and rope handle with silicone to help stop moisture entry.