Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Read this and think...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-1999, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have read my posts in the past week, you will know about the problem I've had with my Scrambler 400. I did some troubleshooting on Saturday and guess what I discovered? I had the left front cv boot replaced by my local Polaris dealer, and afterwards, my left front wheel would lock up while backing up with AWD off. It would also be engaged(left front only) when driven normally. After disassembling both left and right hub assemblies, I discovered that when they shop put the left cage and roller assembly in, there is a spacer, about 3/8" thick that goes between the armature plate and into the inboard side of the cage assembly that they did not install!!! I put the left cage assembly on the right side and BINGO, same problem. Right assembly on the left, problem went away.
Problem is, now that I've had it apart I have a feeling the dealer is going to say I lost the spacer. I just cannot believe how much this dealer messed up my quad. The left caliper mount bracket is hitting the rotor because the hub is wobbling. My rim is chewed up inside because the caliper came loose and was scraping it, and the aforementionened awd nightmare.
I am very impressed with the Polaris system, and the engineering behind the Scrambler, but am sickened over the poor dealer service.

Make sure you have a good dealer for service, or better yet, get a manual, and do it yourself, you won't be any worse than some so called 'professional' mechanics.

thanks, Mike

------------------
Mike...99 Scrambler 400, 94 Kawasaki Bayou 400(newly rebuilt), 99 Impuls 50(Matt's)

Old 10-10-1999, 09:48 PM
Range Rover

Good point Mike,
I do all of my own maintenance unless it is warranty work. Fortunately I have a good dealer for that stuff.
Scott.

Old 10-10-1999, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah and think they only get $50.00 per hour to put it to ya!!!!!!Also your asking alot of these yahoo's on here (read and think all at once)think about it.
COB

[This message has been edited by corncob2 (edited 10-10-1999).]

Old 10-12-1999, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I must admit I have bad-mouthed my dealer falsely. I took the left cage and roller assembly to my dealer and showed him the spacer that was missing. He told me there is no excuse for that and immediately called in the mech. who worked on it. The mech. said he put all the parts in when he replaced the boot, but admitted if it's not there he obviously lost it. We looked in the shop, but after 3 weeks, it is nowhere to be found.
I can understand this and have done it myself already. I always take care of my customers and express my apologies when I do something incorrectly or one of my guys does. The dealer owner said they would order me a new spacer at no cost, and refunded me the cost of the boot replacement, minus parts, and refunded me the $50 bucks I paid for a 99 svc. manual from Polaris! He said when I get it together, to bring it down at my convenience and they would give it a general service, lube, etc.
I must admit I did not expect this from him, and am very pleased with his reaction. I only hope he and all his mechanics use this as a learning experience to make sure they fix things right the first time. I told them no hard feelings as I've been there myself. This is the type of service that will win back a disgruntled customer, like myself.
I often say," The test of a good organization is not on the sale or service that goes well, but on the ones that don't and how they react to them."

Thanks, Mike

------------------
Mike...99 Scrambler 400, 94 Kawasaki Bayou 400(newly rebuilt), 99 Impuls 50(Matt's)

Old 10-15-1999, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer

Please read above response.

Old 10-16-1999, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Was glad to hear it came out so good,sounds like you have agood one after all. COB