Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 scrambler 4x4 won't move

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 07:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 scrambler 500 4stroke 4x4 won't move

Hi, this is my 1st post but I've got helpful info in the past. "THANKS" I now have a problem I couldn't find A clear answer to. Went out mudding and just going nuts having a blast all day, 16 of us.I had no problems all day. We stopped in a clearwater small stream and rinsed our bikes before going to load them up. When I left the clearwater area my bike started wanting to jerk to the left repeadly. Itried going in and out of AWD and it made no diff. I made back and loaded it up. Pressure washed next day and backed off trailer. Steering felt funny "stiff like" went Fwd just a few feet and she bound up pulling to left and literally stopped. Put rev. and moved a couple feet. I jacked up the front and both wheels spun fine. "Not Brakes locking up" dropped her back down and went the back jaccked up and tires wouldn't spin, but they would move half turn or so. Just enough to let me know the brakes weren't locked up. I actually cranked it up and tried it in fwd and rev back tires rolled a little but was in a bind. Whats even weirder is if I let sit for a little bit I can get it to move about 4 feet before it binds up. I don't see any wires going to the front diff, just to the hubs so I asume its full time 4wd and when you hit the AWD switch it locks the front in.

SORRY TO BE SO DETAILED BUT WANTED TO GIVE AS MUCH INFO AS POSSIBLE.
THANKS FOR ANY INPUT OR ANYTHING ELSE I CAN TRY TO PINPOINT THE PROBLEM WITHOUT THROWING MONEY AT IT.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:10 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be a simple as a magnetized armature plate locking the left hub up or could be more involved if the hub is dry. This video can give you an idea of how the mechanical side of the awd works.
Also if there is any damage to the coil sleeve or inner pole of the strut it could require a new coil and sleeve or in some cases a new strut. Here's a post where a coil and sleeve were replaced.AWD Hubstrut Hilliard Clutch Troubleshooting/Diagnoses - Polaris ATV Forum If you need a manual to guide you through this.https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail....pair-1999-2000