Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Making my 570 Sportman trail ready.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making my 570 Sportman trail ready.

Its been a year, and Im going riding tomorrow. A good friend helped me mount my 26" Bighorn tires. Man they're huge!! The rear tires are about inch from fenders barley clears. Any thoughts on that? My friend who has several 4 wheelers with upgrades said it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, tires seem abit bouncey and front tire needs air ironically. What should be the PSI? In the fronts and rear?

We noticed also rear shocks were soft contributing to bounce. Im a big guy not sure what setting should be. No spanner wrench available. What tools do you use?

Thanks for all the help!!

​​​​​​​R'

Old 04-28-2017, 10:52 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would try whatever tire pressure they recommend for the stock tires and adjust from there or maybe start with 1 pound more. I cranked the shocks up as stiff as they would get on my 500. I'm still not sure what's the best but I've tried both extremes and the middle. The front end's too soft but I never put stiffer springs on like I should have. As far as tools go I've always used a spanner on all my quads. I destroyed a few of them because they couldn't handle the torque I put on them. Jack the quad up so there's no weight on the wheels to make it easier. Some people have used channel locks but I read that someone broke the adjuster that way.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:04 AM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run 4 psi in my front and 4.5 in the rear. I have the artrax
(bighorn clone) tires. Those pressures work great for me. But I like a nice cushy ride. Also...shocks are set to softests setting.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not all tires are true to size either. A 26" tire might be taller than a 27" tire of a different type. I go just under 5 psi all the way around. Even a little lower would be fine. I wouldn't go under 4 psi though. Going too low, you run the risk of the tire coming off the rim. Aftermarket beadlock wheels would allow lower pressure but I assume you still have the stock polaris wheels. As far as suspension settings go, that's a personal preference there. I've never adjusted the suspension on any quad I've ever had though. I'm 205 lbs or slightly more and whatever settings were already set seem to have always worked fine. Never had a Sportsman though but owned a couple Yamaha Grizzly 660's and they were a bit on the soft side. The suspension on the Brute Force I have now seems noticeably stiffer but being a non-irs quad I kinda expected that. I could probably soften it up a bit but I kinda like the sportier feel of the way its set up now.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Once again you guys never disappoint. So what I ended up doing was going with what the sticker said on the machine 5psi. I still need to adjust the rear shocks.

I have tne ITP 212S i think mounted with Big Horn originals.

​​​​​​​

Old 05-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Any thoughts on rear tire inch from fender well?

Thanks,
​​​​​​​R'

Old 05-03-2017, 06:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those stock tires look tiny compared to those bighorns, look like they're 3 inches taller. Looks like the 25" bighorns would have been the size to go with. They probably still would have been taller than the stock 25" 489's. Hindsight is always 20/20 they say.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If the rear tire is 1" from the plastic in front of it I don't see an issue. Front is more of a problem as far as fitment goes.

I've used large channel lock pliers myself to adjust the shocks. My rule of thumb is to adjust them to the point where the quad sits almost as high with me on it as without me on it. That way you still have the full cycle of the shock. If you leave it too soft you bottom out more easily.

If a tire is 3" taller in diameter it's only 1.5" taller radius-wise. The radius is what you have to worry about when trying to fit a tire. If there's room and the engine has the power, I don't think an extra 1.5" of ground clearance is a bad thing. When I had the Sportsman X2 500 I went up to 26" XTR's that were a measured 2" larger in diameter or 1" extra radius. Could just feel the slightest bit of power loss. The 570 has quite a few more ponies than the older 500 had.