Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Phoenix Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 02:35 PM
EJM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix Polaris

Looking for some advice. I am having problems with a Phoenix Polaris. When I hit the start button sometimes it works, but takes a while to find the right spot. I have to keep pushing it in different spots till it gets the signal and starts the bike. I am thinking about replacing the switch assembly, but before I do I wanted to see if anyone experienced this and had a better idea on fixing it.

This one should make you laugh… I have another Phoenix Polaris that I have to take apart because I had a mouse nest in the air filter. I figured it was impossible for it to get into a sealed air filler box, but as I took a better look it went in through the air intake. I really hope it didn’t destroy the kids bike. I was able to drive it about 100 feet before it died. That’s when I started poking around and noticed the air filler was taken over by a mouse.

Let me know if anyone could help

Thanks,

EJM

Old 05-31-2017, 04:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Tr some electrical contact cleaner through the cracks and crannies of the switch,push the start button several times and see if works better. Plus not a bad idea to check battery and starter connections. Could be a little corrosion there. Switches can get corroded and worn inside,sometimes you can save them,other times no.Plus don't overlook a battery being a problem even if it's new. Load test it if in doubt. Any auto supply can load test one or this site shows how with a simple meter.https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/ho...ry-is-bad.html Mice can get anywhere. I've found them in air boxes,inside clutch covers along with the mess they made.Plus you're lucky if they didn't chew up some wires.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:51 AM
EJM
Weekend Warrior

That's a great idea. I didn't think of that. I just ordered a contact cleaner. Fingers crossed!

Old 06-01-2017, 08:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Generally a good cleaning will get those switches back to working order. How often could yup be riding it to wear out a starter switch? More likely it just got some mud in there. I have had to clean up after mice a few times, usually not much damage if they don't chew any wires. Good luck!

Old 06-01-2017, 09:22 AM
EJM
Weekend Warrior

Any other tips on what I should clean it up with? for the contacts I ordered Hosa D5S-6 CAIG DeoxIT 5% Spray Contact Cleaner, 5 oz. It had great reviews on Amazon. I think your right it must be just dirty I don't use it much, but when I do it is very muddy. Do you use just soup and water for under the bike?

Any tips for cleaning up after the mice, it went in from the air intake all the way to the air filter box. I cleaned out the air box filter, but not sure where to start after that. The bike still will not start.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Any good electrical cleaner is ok. A good compressor and air gun helps clean up mess from mice.Simple Green or any good auto spray grease cleaner if you want to clean it up. Keep the water off electrical parts and connectors as much as possible. Best to have the manual that can help trace down the problem with its trouble shooting guides and resistance checks.Here's 2007 manual(other years are available) 2007 Polaris Phoenix 200 Service Manual PDF Download Once you at least get the engine to turn over,check for spark first. If you have spark and it still won't start,then may be carb/fuel related.That's where the manual can help you also.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:46 AM
EJM
Weekend Warrior

Where should I spray the air? Do I take off the air filter and spray in the opening?

Thanks for the manual

How do I check if there is a spark?

Old 06-01-2017, 10:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just remove the filter and blow it out. Replace if it's really dirty.Shop towels to wipe out the box. Lay the plug against the cylinder and crank the engine over(if you get the switch to work) and check for spark.If you have spark and still can't get it to run,spray a little starting fluid in the air box inlet duct and see if the engine tries to run. If it tries to crank or runs for a little while and dies,then the carb may need to be cleaned and at least replace the needle and seat. If you don't have spark,try a new plug. Still no spark,then go to the ignition section of the manual.