Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Battery recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 08:45 AM
EJM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery recommendation

I have a Phoenix Polaris and it seems like every year I replace my 25.00 battery, even though it is on a trickle charger all year. Is there a better battery that will actually last or am I just better off replacing it each year being it is only 25.00.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:54 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Make sure it's charging at least 14 volts back to the battery while at an idle. If not it'll just suck the life out of a battery.If this is the cause usually the regulator needs to be replaced.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:06 AM
EJM
Weekend Warrior

I have three Phoenix Polaris quads and each year when I get them ready for the season. I have a weak battery, even with them on the trickle charger for six months and I just end up tossing them out and replacing them. Not sure if it is worth the extra money to buy a better battery. I see some gel batteries that are 3 times the amount anyone have any luck with them? If they would last a long time it would be a no brainer for me to spend more and get the better ones, just don't want to waste the money if I will just get an extra year out of it. The one I buy each year is ATV Battery - 12V, 10Ah, UB-YTX12-BS.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:09 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Still have you checked charging while it's running? If it doesn't charge enough this can shorten the life of the battery to where you will have to replace one often even if you keep it on a trickle charge.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

Gel cells are better, you can run em down and recharge many times. You might want to have a real battery charger, not a trickle charger, one with a setting for small batteries. Absolutely check the charging system. BTW, I run an Optima Yellow Top in my Arctic Cat Diesel, 500 amp hours. If yours has a pull start, maybe you don't need an expensive battery, but I drive my ATV's year round, and that diesel needs a big battery when it's -20F.

Attached Thumbnails Battery recommendation-p1010170.jpg