Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

electric start won't work

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric start won't work

1988 trail boss Polaris Replaced the starter and starter gear also the solenoid and ignition switch. Battery is good and starts right away once solenoid posts are jumped.

No lights on when key is turned also no headlight. Once the solenoid is jumped every works well but the head light pulses like the stator is doing all the work with out battery.

Last edited by zzcue1; 06-05-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: error
Old 06-05-2017, 03:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

No need to post twice on the same subject..https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...cate-post.html

Old 06-05-2017, 04:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ok sorry

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
No need to post twice on the same subject..https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...cate-post.html
when I get a chance I'll look for the 20amp fuse by the battery in a plastic bag looking thing. Thank you for getting back to me so fast. As always you are the best.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by zzcue1
when I get a chance I'll look for the 20amp fuse by the battery in a plastic bag looking thing. Thank you for getting back to me so fast. As always you are the best.
Replaced the circuit breaker it was a ten amp breaker
still no push start.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Then spray some electrical cleaner in the left control switch and work the start button several times.Plus trace the wiring from the switch for shorts and that the connector is making good contact.

Attached Thumbnails electric start won't work-f19e36e2f01a2dd95923a269dd42b844a0c31358.png  
Old 06-06-2017, 03:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Then spray some electrical cleaner in the left control switch and work the start button several times.Plus trace the wiring from the switch for shorts and that the connector is making good contact.
Ok cleaned that. Removed the start stop switch with two screws took apart and cleaned it. Replaced it on handle bars. Still nothing

As noted before. When I turn the key I get nothing no lights on the dash. Also if I get it to run by jumping the selaniod and turn the lights on they pulse. This whole thing happend out of know where. As a week ago if started fine.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:09 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Did you trace the switch wiring down into the main connector? The circuit breaker allows power to flow to the left control switch and from there to the indicator lights,etc. Check the harness between the circuit breaker and the control switch for any shorts plus check the switch itself to see if it has voltage reaching it.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

No voltage is reaching the start button. No voltage to or from the circuit breaker either. Where does the circuit breaker go? Towards the battery side. This might be my issue. Once again thank you so much for helping all of us. You are an asset to this forum.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sounds like that's your problem. One side of the breaker wire goes to the battery positive post,other side of the breaker feeds power to harness leading to the control switch and also the small solenoid wire that is powered up when you push the start button.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like that's your problem. One side of the breaker wire goes to the battery positive post,other side of the breaker feeds power to harness leading to the control switch and also the small solenoid wire that is powered up when you push the start button.

ran a new wire from battery to new circuit breaker. Still no power to the front end. No lights on dash and no electric start.

Quick Reply: electric start won't work