Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't turn over

Okay, replaced the worst looking breaker. Now at least the lights come on and the starter is makin a clicking noise! Should I replace all the breakers??

Old 07-27-2017, 10:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check all connections first.Charge the battery overnight and have it load tested.If the battery checks out ok and solenoid still just clicks, check if the starter wire is receiving voltage from the solenoid. If it's not the solenoid is at fault.If the solenoid is passing voltage to the starter,the starter may be bad or starter wire may need to be loosened, moved around and tightened. If the starter is at fault they're cheap along with the starter bendix. Best to replace both and be done with it.
https://www.dbelectrical.com/starter...ris/sportsman/ Solenoids are cheap also if needed.Less than 6 bucks at amazon or ebay.Starter Solenoid Relay POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 | eBay

Old 07-28-2017, 03:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't turn over

I've tried everything and it just won't turn over? I ordered the item that you sent me for $5. Problem it will only come next week.
I thought of pulling starter off and have it tested.
Any more thought??

Old 07-28-2017, 05:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you're getting 12 volts at the starter,then yes I'd pull the starter. If voltage isn't jumping the solenoid posts to the starter wire then problem could still be at the solenoid. Plus don't assume a battery is good even if it's new and it shows over 12 volts. Voltage may drop like a rock under a load and cause solenoids to click and not transfer power. I've had new batteries doa straight out of the box.Charge it and have it load tested to at least eliminate it.Not a fix,but if you're getting voltage to the starter wire,tap the starter lightly and see if it tries to spin over.Corrosion on the starter terminal can cause problems also. Loosen the 10mm nut and work the cable around and then tighten back up.If that doesn't help then starters are too cheap to even tear apart if you narrow it down to it.