Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bendix issues??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bendix issues??

Continue to have issues with a 2002 Sportsman. The newest being I replaced all electrical starting parts and still the only thing that happens is the bendix will spin. Oh yes I replaced the bendix too.
Took bendix cover off and I see it spinning but I will not engage the fly wheel? Both bendix do the same thing. I have had several other issue with this atv and I'm ready to throw in the towel.
Any help would be greatly appreciate!

Old 08-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check that you have the small washer on the back of the bendix and that both starter drive gear bushings,one in the recoil housing and one in the engine case aren't cracked or damaged.These can keep a bendix from kicking out properly.Also check the flywheel ring gear teeth for any damage.Plus something as simple as a weak battery can keep a bendix from operating properly. Load test it if in doubt. Even if the battery is new,doesn't mean it can't have a weak cell straight out of the box.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:34 AM
Trailblazer
Default Bendix issues

Thank you so much for your time and help again.
Yep, the washer is on the back of the bendix and all gears look really good.
I am completely lost at why this won't engage?

Old 08-12-2017, 09:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Again if a battery is beginning to become weak when a load is placed on the starter,voltage can drop to where the bendix may not have enough amperage or "umph" so to speak to kick out and engage the flywheel.I've had this happen a lot before. Possible to have a couple faulty bendixes but I'd load test the battery first. Simple thing you can even do at home to at least eliminate the battery as the problem. Look over this article.https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/ho...ry-is-bad.html

Old 08-12-2017, 09:53 AM
Trailblazer
Default Bendix issues

Just checked the battery and it reads 12.68 on the meter.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:04 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Don874
Just checked the battery and it reads 12.68 on the meter.
A battery can still show fully charged and fail a load test.What is the reading when you try to crank the atv? A extra pair of hands can help with one person checking voltage as another tries to start it. That's what's important and mentioned in the article. If voltage falls below 9.5 volts you could have a problem with the battery and it may not a mechanical problem with the bendix if it at least spins out manually ok and bushings are in good shape. Plus a little grease on the bendix wouldn't hurt.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer
Default Bendix issues

Just checked voltage while turning key and it measures 11.69!

Old 08-12-2017, 10:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If it's showing this voltage when you're trying to start the machine,not just turning the key to the on position, then the battery is ok. If you're certain the bushings are ok,starter doesn't seem under a load,spins ok,then possibly could be the bendix.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:28 AM
Trailblazer
Default Bendix issue

It's the second bendix I've tried and you can hear both spinning. Even took the cover off and watched them spin. They just won't come out and engage the flywheel. One is brand new and the other is the orginal.
I've given up.....deal next I guess?

Old 08-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the starter is spinning fast enough the bendix should kick out to engage the flywheel. If two bendixes won't work right then still sounds like you have a problem. If the battery checks out as you say under a load test,the recoil bushing and case bushing are ok,check that you have good connections at the battery,solenoid and starter.The starter itself may be suspect if it doesn't have enough inertia to make the bendix kick out against the flywheel.