Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 Trail Boss 330

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Trail Boss 330

New member here. Hello. A friend of mine hooked up battery cables backward on this thing. He just gave it to me. The control module(4010944) was smoked, so I bought one. It will start just fine. I noticed that the battery is not charging, and the cooling fan won't come on. There are five wires on top of the flywheel area. Three yellow and two white. One white has a stripe on it. The two whites go to the voltage regulator. The yellows go to the module. There is another yellow that comes back out of the module that has a electric female connector on it. I can't find anything that it plugs into. I started it up and checked voltage with my meter in the connector. As I raised the rpms, the voltage would go up and fall when I let it idle. Highest I saw was about 19 volts at maybe 3000 rpms. That kind of tells me it is charging. Does anyone know about that wire and where it goes. Any help or advice would be great. Thanks

Old 10-05-2017, 06:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The other connector is down there in the harness.You have to look for it unless it go burnt up when the other ecm fried. This can help you if you have problems. 2003 Polaris Trail Boss 330 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 10-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2003 trail boss 330

Thanks for getting back so fast. I looked at the harnesses and haven't found the connector yet. Must be hidden pretty good. It is not burned at all, so I'm thinking that the other end must be in good condition. I will let you know if I find it. Thanks again

Old 10-06-2017, 03:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Can't find that connector anywhere

Old 10-06-2017, 03:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Look at the top of the oil cooler. One connector from the sensor goes to the module. If that doesn't help down load the manual and look at the wiring diagram.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Trail Boss 330-61wm4abt0tl._sl1500_.jpg  
Old 10-06-2017, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plug you are referring to goes to the thermister on the oil cooler . It needs to be plugged in for the fan to work .

The two white wires go to the cdi , not the voltage regulator

For the charging problem - if you're getting 19 volts that's way too high , a grounded stator would cause that .

Did you test the battery to make sure it's good ?

Old 10-07-2017, 06:07 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Yooper265
The plug you are referring to goes to the thermister on the oil cooler . It needs to be plugged in for the fan to work .

The two white wires go to the cdi , not the voltage regulator

For the charging problem - if you're getting 19 volts that's way too high , a grounded stator would cause that .

Did you test the battery to make sure it's good ?
Yes all this is shown in the wiring diagram that's in the manual.Stator could be the problem or another faulty ecm straight out of the box like I've found before.A lot of people seem to resist down loading the cheap manuals that can answer a lot of their questions,save time and frustration and show where connections are along with stator tests,etc if they still have problems.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not much on reading schematics. I found one online but couldn't make any sense from it. The wires from the thermistor are hooked up to the module. I put one lead of my meter on the motor block, and checked for continuity to the three yellow wires from the stator, and had nothing. Not sure if that is the way to do it, but wouldn't that indicate that there is no ground? I went through the wiring harnesses and didn't see anywhere that other yellow wire plugs into. I really appreciate you guys helping me.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

What your doing is checking if any yellow shorts to ground,which appears to show it doesn't. Plus check ohms resistance between each yellow. Should be some small resistance between each other such as 0.3,etc. If this shows ok then more than like the stator is ok. Other tests in the manual such as the AC amperage test. Turn the meter selector to ac amps,crank the engine and test between the yellow stator wires. Should be around 5 to 7 amps at an idle. The three small spade connectors on the left side of the module hook to a connector coming from the stator.Unless someone has messed with the stator wiring before. Any single yellow would be in the harness.You may have to open the wiring loom to find it or it could be at the side of the tank on the frame behind the plastic.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I checked between the yellow wires and had 0.6 between each. So hopefully the stator is ok. That single yellow wire coming back out of the module is only about six inches long. Not long enough to go very far. Seems like it would be staring me right in the face where it hooks up. One other question. I read that there is a "break even point" on the charging volts. That if you let engine idle for long periods of time, the battery would actually be discharging. When I checked the voltage on that yellow wire it was going up and down. So I guess I thought it was working properly. I can't do ac amps thing right now. I broke the gas valve so I gotta get that fixed. Wasn't happy with myself. Why don't you come to Missouri and I'll buy you some beer. I'll get back to you.Thank you so much.