Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Kokusan install issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kokusan install issue

hello!
was hoping for a bit of help with a used kokusan ignition kit install on my 02 700.
i changed it and have spark but not getting any ignition. Is there something with the ignition timing that could have gone wrong? Is it one of the wires misplaced possibly?
again spark against frame looks good but won't fire even with quick start sprayed straight into combustion chamber. I assumed carburation prob is eliminated since no fire when carb removed and quick start sprayed right in. (Silly to assume that?)
Mayne no spark when plugs are in as opposed to against frame?
i did attach the extra brown wire behind the wire guard in the stator area. And I did connect red/yellow to red yellow under cdi.
advise would help.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Used kit? Hopefully you have both jumpers also.Only one is used on the 700. Most common problem was finding the red/white wire buried in the wiring loom and making sure of the grounds like shown in this video.

Attached Thumbnails Kokusan install issue-412df5057b577ab4e5155d7faed00581.jpg  
Old 10-10-2017, 04:49 PM
Trailblazer

thx For the Reply man.
can you expand on "only one was used for the 700"?
I used all the wires. I made my own connections as it didnt come with Jumpers.
the red and white (assuming its the right one) was already out of the harnes by the old ignition coil.
It was a bullet connect I believe. I attached the red/white from the stator to it.
I grounded brown behind the stator and up top under the new coil.
I attached the kill switch wire with two butt connectors. and attached all the wires to the regulator which I just bought new.
I am definately getting spark from the plugs against the frame. but no firing when they are installed.
how does the ignition timing get defined?
what is that red/white wire for?

any knowledge is appreciated.
cheers
T

Old 10-11-2017, 04:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Timing is through the cdi module.No timing chain to cause a jump in mechanical timing.Mechanical timing is gear to gear alignment. Sounds like you have it right and yes both jumpers were used,one for the regulator and the other for the upper harness red/white. If it won't at least try to crank with starting fluid,I'd check compression just to eliminate that as a problem area.If you can't narrow it down then that's where the manual comes into play.You've basically updated the 2002 ignition to 2004 standards.I'd go through chapter 10 electrical steps,checks and tests along with the wiring diagram to see if you can track down the problem.Installing a used kit? Problem could be in in the kit itself? 2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 10-11-2017, 07:39 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for your time ,
I will go through it all again search over the install.
and if its not apparent I will start methodically going through it as per manual.

hopefully it's something dumb dumb.

cheers
T

Old 10-11-2017, 06:59 PM
Trailblazer

it was a combination of things. First there were some hand warmers and thumb warmer installed and they bypassed the kill switch wire somehow so when I was using that wire it was killing the spark but not killing the kill switch! handy.
Also I took apart the stator again and inched the Pick Up coil closer to the magnet on the flywheel. Between those two things Voila! Spark and fired up.

Then i rode it and it was quite lean, so after cursing myself for putting the plastics back on, I took it all apart again and got the needle out of the carb. I says to myself "dont lose that circlip" and with a 'pling it went flying out of my plyers and into the grass and dirt. its Gonzo. I spent an hour looking for that thing.
oh well. At least I got the original problem solved? Now, wait for clip
thanks for the help,
Cheers
T

Old 10-11-2017, 07:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you have a roofer working nearby or know one, they all have a nifty little 2 foot long magnetic roller that picks up loose nails. It'd probably find that e-clip..