ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Found my oil leak - cylinder gasket (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/374130-found-my-oil-leak-cylinder-gasket.html)

Simon Miller 12-05-2017 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
While you have pressure on the flywheel,apply a little heat from a propane torch around the crank shaft area then use an air impact like shown in the video I posted. If you have enough pressure on the puller sometimes heat alone will cause a flywheel to pop right off. Plus looks like you have the flat piece on the puller. Remove it to where you have the tapered end of the puller bolt against the shaft.

Wow - blowtorch worked. Loud pop and it launched off. Also used IMPACT wrench.

Here is a photo of the stator. I don't think there's any damage. Now to replace the chain...

Not sure I want to ever pull a flywheel off again.

Simon Miller 12-05-2017 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I assumed you meant impact wrench on post #33 too. You could wreck a torque wrench using it to unscrew nuts or bolts.

Yes - thank you. Not a mechanic - simply a wannabe. Learning from YouTube, the service manual and OPT.

Simon Miller 12-05-2017 05:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Time to wrap this up. Here is what's left of my base (cylinder) gasket. And what the cylinder looks like when you miss a step in the manual. When I took off the last 4 bolts in the water jacket it came off with a light tap.
Attachment 28168Attachment 28167

user493 12-05-2017 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Simon Miller (Post 3380055)
Yes - thank you. Not a mechanic - simply a wannabe. Learning from YouTube, the service manual and OPT.

Even the best mechanics started out not knowing much, except OPT, he was born knowing this stuff. :lol:

The only thing you really need to know about torque wrenches is that you NEVER use one to loosen nuts and bolts, because it could take enough torque to break the wrench before they come loose. I have a cheap torque wrench that measures the torque by how much the handle bends while the pointer stays straight. It works well enough for AR-15 barrels and a few other things. It's better than just guessing but if I was a mechanic I'd have a good one.

old polaris tech 12-06-2017 02:47 AM

I can see why it was leaking just looking at the wrinkled base gasket. Plus you did do a number on that cylinder:) Clean that nasty looking stator and flywheel up while you have it apart. Cheap electrical contact cleaner is fine to use.Plus MARK the stator plate and engine case before you remove the plate. Check for any up and down play on the rod. Hopefully none.Plus keep some rags in the bottom end to keep it clean as possible.

Simon Miller 12-06-2017 09:20 PM

I can see why it was leaking just looking at the wrinkled base gasket. Plus you did do a number on that cylinder:) Clean that nasty looking stator and flywheel up while you have it apart. Cheap electrical contact cleaner is fine to use.Plus MARK the stator plate and engine case before you remove the plate. Check for any up and down play on the rod. Hopefully none.Plus keep some rags in the bottom end to keep it clean as possible.

Got it, thank you. Can you please look at the sprocket and Woodroof key? Not sure if I need to remove them. Hard to tell if the sprocket is worn. Someone has been in here before, they made a mess of the screws. The key looks like it's pushed up a bit at the end?

Simon Miller 12-06-2017 10:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 28179Attachment 28178

old polaris tech 12-07-2017 09:21 AM

Flywheel key looks ok as well as the lower crank sprocket teeth. Just noticed this gap is the slotted nut I'm looking at. You can remove it and check the sprocket key out. Feeling kinda goofy today,just had a root canal done yesterday.. And I'm sore.. :(

Simon Miller 12-07-2017 09:49 AM

Flywheel key looks ok as well as the lower crank sprocket teeth. Just noticed this gap is the slotted nut I'm looking at. You can remove it and check the sprocket key out. Feeling kinda goofy today,just had a root canal done yesterday.. And I'm sore.. :(

U guess looking at mechanical teeth doesn't help you recover from the root canal.

Something is not right with the key - it might just not be in there right. Maybe I should pull it out to look at it?

old polaris tech 12-07-2017 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Simon Miller (Post 3380195)
U guess looking at mechanical teeth doesn't help you recover from the root canal.

Something is not right with the key - it might just not be in there right. Maybe I should pull it out to look at it?

Just realized that I was looking at one cut away slots on the slotted nut holding the crank sprocket..You can pull the nut off (remember left hand threads) and check the condition of the key. If the sprocket has any side to side play,replace the key. Use blue loc tite on the shaft threads and then the slotted nut. You don't need the slotted nut tool. Just tighten by hand and then use a punch and hammer to final tighten the slotted nut. Fairly snug but don't break the nut.. :)