ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Found my oil leak - cylinder gasket (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/374130-found-my-oil-leak-cylinder-gasket.html)

old polaris tech 12-04-2017 04:27 PM

Puller is ok but you need an air impact or you won't get it off. Look at this video on a 700 engine in a dune buggy. Similar to the 500 and shows how snug flywheels are on these tapered shafts.Need that air impact. Look starting at the 2:45 mark.

Simon Miller 12-04-2017 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Puller is ok but you need an air impact or you won't get it off. Look at this video on a 700 engine in a dune buggy. Similar to the 500 and shows how snug flywheels are on these tapered shafts.Need that air impact. Look starting at the 2:45 mark.

That’s what I thought. Need another tool. Will have a good collection when I’m done.

Simon Miller 12-04-2017 08:37 PM

Yup - torque wrench is the only way to get the flywheel nut off. Popped right off.

Back in business - just need to wait for the top end kit to arrive, along with some other parts like the chain. Need to finish the engine disassembly, and can then start to put it all back together again.

Hoping for no more surprises....

old polaris tech 12-05-2017 08:11 AM

Always expect the unexpected. Read the manual slowly and follow each step.

Simon Miller 12-05-2017 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Always expect the unexpected. Read the manual slowly and follow each step.

Next challenge - flywheel won't come off. Broke the bolts on the tool. The rental place won't be happy. Now what?Attachment 28164

old polaris tech 12-05-2017 11:51 AM

For one thing thread the bolts a little deeper into the flywheel without touching the stator. You can get a grade 8 8mm flange bolt at most hardware stores to replace the broken one.

Simon Miller 12-05-2017 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

For one thing thread the bolts a little deeper into the flywheel without touching the stator. You can get a grade 8 8mm flange bolt at most hardware stores to replace the broken one.

I bought new high grade bolts, the one with the tool were low grade. Still not coming off - I'm worried about apply too much force and breaking something. Is a torque wrench ok to use?

old polaris tech 12-05-2017 01:37 PM

While you have pressure on the flywheel,apply a little heat from a propane torch around the crank shaft area then use an air impact like shown in the video I posted. If you have enough pressure on the puller sometimes heat alone will cause a flywheel to pop right off. Plus looks like you have the flat piece on the puller. Remove it to where you have the tapered end of the puller bolt against the shaft.

Simon Miller 12-05-2017 01:40 PM

While you have pressure on the flywheel,apply a little heat from a propane torch around the crank shaft area then use an air impact like shown in the video I posted. If you have enough pressure on the puller sometimes heat alone will cause a flywheel to pop right off.

Sorry - I meant impact wrench, not torque wrench. Will try this soon.

user493 12-05-2017 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Simon Miller (Post 3380031)
Sorry - I meant impact wrench, not torque wrench. Will try this soon.

I assumed you meant impact wrench on post #33 too. You could wreck a torque wrench using it to unscrew nuts or bolts.