Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2004 Polaris sportsman 700 EFI

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 09:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Polaris sportsman 700 EFI

Hey guy I have a 04 sportsman 700 EFI I feel like I have more than one issue going on ... (one) when I turn the handlebars the idle goes up about 800 to1000 rpms I think the cable is getting in a bind but I’m not sure. I think the cable is run wrong after the fuel pump got changed out.. ( two) the bike idles good but feels a lil sluggish, it does NOT miss or backfire ... but does not go ove 30mph and it will not take off very fast... this EFI and it is something new to me... the only thing done to this atv is a k&n air filter. It is clean as well and new spark plug... please help

Old 12-25-2017, 03:09 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

My two cent is to replace that K&N with and oem or Uni foam filter.Even with and over wear they allow too much dirt to get through.First year model that did have problems on the throttle cable. Shouldn't have to replace it,but pop off the front panel,cut the loop holding the cable(if it's still there) and work around the left side in making sure the cable isn't binding as you turn the handle bars fully to the right side.If it's idling ok at that point you can add a zip tie loosely around the cable at the rear of the tank area on the frame.Check the intake manifold as they still had a habit of cracking,sucking air, under the clamp,plus change the fuel filter located behind the radiator area if it looks like it's never been changed.If that doesn't solve all the problems,you might want to check the belt and clutches. The manual can help also in the efi section plus help on repairs and service.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2004-Po...ce-Manual.html

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Polaris sportsman 700 EFI-e85ebb9316e14f76fa3f7a5bb6448edcd21a2fa7.png  
Old 12-25-2017, 08:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Merry Christmas and thank you for all the help I will cut the loop it is still ther I cut off all the zip ties off the cable... does the cable run In between the gas tank and vent pipe for the CVt belt breather. And for the clutch and belt how would I check it out, pull the cover and run it and I will check the filter out for sure!

Old 12-25-2017, 12:56 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Cable runs inside the side panel,close to the tank then to the throttle body. The air exhaust duct from the clutch cover wrapped over the tank on this newer style system and didn't interfere(supposedly) with the cable. Plus on the belt check for wear,burn marks that could cause slipping. Any deeper than that is where the manual would come in handy.Depending on build date they had two different driven clutches. The belt used was the same.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Polaris sportsman 700 EFI-0b32b14be16978c083c3923c722f2e0970cdc1db.png   2004 Polaris sportsman 700 EFI-551445eda790cf33c3da6d8e8bdec472dec1db79.png  
Old 12-25-2017, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Than you I will check into it .... right now I have the cable run outside of the vent tube from the belt cover right inside the cover.. I believe the bike was made feb 2004.... I will check into it
Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Cable runs inside the side panel,close to the tank then to the throttle body. The air exhaust duct from the clutch cover wrapped over the tank on this newer style system and didn't interfere(supposedly) with the cable. Plus on the belt check for wear,burn marks that could cause slipping. Any deeper than that is where the manual would come in handy.Depending on build date they had two different driven clutches. The belt used was the same.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:59 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Lineman452
Than you I will check into it .... right now I have the cable run outside of the vent tube from the belt cover right inside the cover.. I believe the bike was made feb 2004.... I will check into it
Yes it ran outside of the vent tube section that laid over the tank.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Update

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Yes it ran outside of the vent tube section that laid over the tank.
I looked into the drive belt today... it looks fine ... no cracks or fraying.. when I ride it it is running 31 mph at 4600 prm in high I think my net stop is the in line fuel filter... it has a new fuel pump and sounds like it is running good... has good pick up after it gets to goin 10 mph and then stopes gaining at 31.... I didn’t thinks about blowing the drive pulleys of so I plan on doing that as well..

Old 12-31-2017, 05:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the clutch system is causing the limiting the driven clutch is the one that's usually a problem. Also check the intake manifold. Carb and efi models were bad about splitting under the clamp and sometimes hard to see.Loosen the clamp, slide it back and see if the manifold has split. If you rule out the clutches,belt and intake manifold,the problem could come down to the limiter in the speedo itself.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

[QUOTE=old polaris tech;3382130]If the clutch system is causing the limiting the driven clutch is the one that's usually a problem. Also check the intake manifold. Carb and efi models were bad about splitting under the clamp and sometimes hard to see.Loosen the clamp, slide it back and see if the manifold has split. If you rule out the clutches,belt and intake manifold,the problem could come down to the limiter in the speedo
Thanks for the info I looked at the boot and it looks ok it had so dry crack but wasn’t all the way through... I sprayed carb cleaner on it while it was running.. it didn’t change the idle at all... I have ordered a fuel filter... so I am planning on putting it on this weekend we put a new fuel pump on it about 5 years ago but it has no hrs on it maybe 2hr not been used bc of the idling up when I turn the handle bar.. I removed the ring around the Throttle cable and it did not change anything

Old 01-02-2018, 05:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Forgot also to make sure the that the throttle lever has only 1/16-1/8" free play. If too tight that also can cause it to idle up when you turn hard right. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13....html?page=107 Plus if you need a cheap manual.2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI Service Manual PDF Download

Quick Reply: 2004 Polaris sportsman 700 EFI