Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2017 Quad Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 09:43 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yooper265
When it fails is it cranking but not firing ?

Not cranking over at all ?

Hit the switch nothing happens (not cranking) like the switch is not working and that is with the machine in park and the hand brake tight. The dealer replaced the switch thinking that was the problem. You can try 3-4 times and it won't start. Go out an hour later do the same thing and bam it starts. All the neighbors familiar with this problem are just shaking their heads and most have been using Polaris for years.

Most here that I know use the battery tender when the temps get below 10 (me for sure) or if the machine does not crank well.

I understand the reasoning behind moving the winch down and the radiator up but when using snow plows as we do you can't get the plow out of the snow with the winches mounted low. And all the other chores the winch is used for the high mounted winches work the best. In 10 years of use have never had that radiator plug with snow, ice, mod or grass and the quad is used everyday. Has 9400+ miles on it. Of course have never ran it into a mud hole to the handle bars either.

My neighbor and I were working on the road yesterday and that quad started 4 times so did not have to tow it back.

Thanks for the responses, they are appreciated

Old 12-28-2017, 01:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Been reading about Rzrs and Ranger 570s going through similar problems. Both have larger batteries than the Sportsman,but have the same starter and sprague starter clutch also.Seems like the batteries would negate that area I would think.One other thing is I'm used to is an engine to frame ground strap,but can't find one.I may be missing it,but wondering if they're relying on just engine mounts alone. Just throwing this out there.

Attached Thumbnails 2017 Quad Start Problem-34c0ed515d7fbcb0cbfed62361d0e0bb9541e5bc.png   2017 Quad Start Problem-34cfa9b4489a814e0d1df6ba6c794574af8e20ec.png  
Old 12-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Range Rover

Thanks
Never gave the ground a thought. My 2007 has a ground wire directly from the battery fasten to the frame then continues on down and fastens to one of the mounting bolts on the starter. Will have the neighbor check that. A loose connection would cause what is going on but the Polaris mechanic would have checked that wouldn't you think?

Any more ideas anybody?

Old 12-28-2017, 02:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Found it or it says it's the ground strap. Small lead item#8. Still wouldn't hurt to grind down the frame or any ground points just to eliminate that. Plus seems like the common denominator between all three,Sportsman,Ranger and Rzr was that they had to cycle the switch on and off several times. Possibly has to do that for the fuel pump to catch up because of the temp or something of that nature. Just fishing around again.

Attached Thumbnails 2017 Quad Start Problem-787e02e199a51dbffeb8ea6f1eb190f7c4502505.png  
Old 12-28-2017, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Myself , I would eliminate the brake interlock , there's lots of posts on other forums about people having problems with the brake switch causing this problem . At least do it to prove whether or not it's the problem . Use a blue Scotchlok crimp splice on the negative wire right on the starter solenoid to ground .

Old 12-28-2017, 03:51 PM
Range Rover

Again Thanks

When this first started and before we hauled it into the shop I showed up at his place and he said it would not start. I turned the key on and off quickly about 4-6 times and it cranked and started. Later he said it cranked but would not start. Let it set a few minutes tried it and it cranked and started he said. Next morning would not crank. Then it went to the shop. Now that quad sits outside but is mostly covered so things will get cold. You know he never complained about this problem when it was warm...food for thought. I checked the battery when it was about 20 degrees and it was 13 volts so the battery is good even cold. What about the safety switch in the hand brake and the one when it's in park? Where is the hand brake safety switch located and could the temps effect their operation especially if snow was packed all around them?

He ran up here this morning and said it started right up..it's warmer 34 degrees and yesterday up on the road probably about the same. Has not been this warm for a month +. When it was in at Polaris it was in a warm shop and they could not find a problem.

More food for thought

Appreciate your time

Old 12-28-2017, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

Next time it happens , unplug the starter solenoid , have someone hold it to crank , put a meter on the two leads and see which polarity is no getting there , then you'll know which way to look . One wire should read +12 volts to ground , the other should should show zero ohms to ground .

Old 12-28-2017, 04:03 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Yooper265
Myself , I would eliminate the brake interlock , there's lots of posts on other forums about people having problems with the brake switch causing this problem . At least do it to prove whether or not it's the problem . Use a blue Scotchlok crimp splice on the negative wire right on the starter solenoid to ground .
You must have posted as I was replying to Old Tech. I think you might be on to something. Let me go down maybe later today or in the morning and look at the setup on that quad. I use a 2007 and his is a 2017 so not really familiar. How does that brake safety switch work and where is it located. Is my thinking correct you are saying just to add a ground wire at or near the solenoid?

Appreciate your response

Old 12-28-2017, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

yes , right at the solenoid .

Old 12-28-2017, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
When they had the winches mounted higher that meant the radiator was lower and a lot more likely to get plugged with mud than when it's mounted above the winch. It seems most people were glad they changed it.
That is the exact reason they flipped the rad/winch location for MY 11. I love my 12 400HO and will not be giving it up anytime soon. The new rad location is superior to the older location.

Quick Reply: 2017 Quad Start Problem