Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help with predator 90

Old 12-29-2017, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with predator 90

Bout a month ago my kid went theough a bunch of water. Bike had spark, but wouldnt start, so after reading i got a new stator. Picked one up off amazon (i know, i know, but trying to get it running for christmas break), got it installed, have spark L, it will start if i crank on it and leave the choke out, then dies.

needless to say, kid is disappointed and im ready to burn the dang thing. Need some help, or advice in talking the wife into a new quad and eating crow.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Did you go through the carb,clean jets,etc and check the air filter for water? Wouldn't hurt to clean wiring connections and use some electrical grease. Simple things like moisture around the plug cap, switches,plus other areas can cause problems. Would help to know what year model you have.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry, its a 2006. I have not gone through the carb because the bike was running fine. He shut it off so we could have lunch and it would not fire back up. Ill pull the carb and check though.

Last edited by rdjustham; 12-30-2017 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-30-2017, 12:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Half a sleep when I read your first post.. Said it went through water but you still had spark,but you replaced the stator? If it had spark,then the stator should have been ok along with the cdi,etc. Clean the carb as I mentioned along with using electrical grease in the connections. If you still have problems go through this cheap manual trouble shooting guide. Outlaw,Predator,Sportsman 90 are the same,just difference on body plastic.2006 Polaris Outlaw 90 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 12-30-2017, 01:04 PM
Trailblazer

When it died it had no spark. Blew out the stator area, and it would start if i cranked on it then die. Ill pull the carb tomorrow and give it a good cleaning. Coil was recently replaced so ill try the carb and check the cdi. And let you know. As always thanks for the help!

Old 01-20-2018, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer

Ok. Went through the carb, checked connections etc. bike has spark, is getting fuel, but wont start. What am i missing?

Old 01-20-2018, 04:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Has to have good air supply, good spark,good fuel supply to the carb and carb in good shape plus has to have good compression.If you haven't checked that already, that'd be next.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer

Carb is in good shape, getting gas. Checked the reeds they are fine. Put a new top end in when i gotmit maybe a year and a half ago. Funny thing is when i was cranking it, i let go of the button and it kept cranking. Turned key off, unplugged coil and wven took the cdi out and it kept cranking.

If the stator was bad it wouldnt have spark right?

if CDI or coil was bad it wouldnt have spark right?

It has Spark fuel and air, my understanding is that all it needs to run. Could a bad top end keep it from starting?

Old 01-20-2018, 06:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by rdjustham
Carb is in good shape, getting gas. Checked the reeds they are fine. Put a new top end in when i gotmit maybe a year and a half ago. Funny thing is when i was cranking it, i let go of the button and it kept cranking. Turned key off, unplugged coil and wven took the cdi out and it kept cranking.

If the stator was bad it wouldnt have spark right?

if CDI or coil was bad it wouldnt have spark right?

It has Spark fuel and air, my understanding is that all it needs to run. Could a bad top end keep it from starting?
Yes if the stator exciter coil was bad it could stop spark.Even a shorted out pulse coil(that sends the signal to the cdi) could do the same thing as well as a faulty cdi or ignition coil itself.All have to work hand in hand.If it kept cranking over either the starter button may have stuck or the starter relay could have faulted. Yes low compression can keep one from running also. Anything under 100 psi on these little ones isn't good. Manual calls for 115 psi minimum.Even though you installed a new kit a while back,I'd still take a reading just as a process of elimination.Also leaking crank seals can keep 2 strokes from starting also. One other thing you can try off hand just for the heck of it is unplugging the regulator and see if it cranks.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:17 PM
Trailblazer

Ok thanks. The help is really appreciated!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with predator 90