Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Max sustained speed

Old 03-13-2018, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max sustained speed

2003 sportsman 700 twin. excellent running shape. street tires.

What is max sustained speed on highway?
I don't want to harm engine.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Why? If you don't want to harm anything stay off the street.. Over 60 mph top end.As far as sustaining this speed for how long,who knows,it's not an auto.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:53 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't heard of anywhere in the whole country where you can legally ride an OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) on the highway. If anyone has put a lot of miles on an ATV on the highway, and is willing to admit it, I'm eager to see what they say.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:46 AM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My sportsman 570 was able to maintain 75mph with no issues. Riding down I40 on my trailer from New Mexico to Arkansas and back. Around 1500 miles.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkeyeRider
My sportsman 570 was able to maintain 75mph with no issues. Riding down I40 on my trailer from New Mexico to Arkansas and back. Around 1500 miles.
Gas mileage was fantastic also I bet. Never even had to top it off.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I haven't heard of anywhere in the whole country where you can legally ride an OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) on the highway. If anyone has put a lot of miles on an ATV on the highway, and is willing to admit it, I'm eager to see what they say.
I guess you never heard of Arizona. It must be modified to be street legal. Classified as a M/C.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:32 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grrunt
I guess you never heard of Arizona. It must be modified to be street legal. Classified as a M/C.
Yeah, I've heard of Arizona, but I didn't think street legal meant highway legal. Are you sure it's okay to ride down highways on it? I don't know how it could be classified as a motorcycle when federal law says motorcycles can only have a maximum of 3 wheels on the ground at a time.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We ride for a short distance on the highway to get from one section to another on our local trails. The creek crossing is usually impassable so we zip on the highway and take the bridge. But its only like maybe 1/4 mile. We wait for traffic to clear and go. Not really wide open but a decent pace to get off the highway as quickly as possible. Atvs were never mean to be ridden wide open anyway. I'm not exactly sure how fast a Sportsman 700 can go flat out, I would guess about 65 mph. If you really wanted to ride at a constant fast speed, I wouldnt run it over about 45 mph. I had a friend who ruined the engine on his Grizzly 660 running it wide open for several miles. You can run wide open but only for a few seconds at a time. Its really hard on the engine. Imagine taking your car or truck and running it at top speed. How long would you expect it to last before the engine started showing severe signs of abuse?

Old 03-14-2018, 12:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Classified as a M/C. Subject to same conditions as M/C. Must be capable of minimum speeds for freeway travel. ( you won't catch me on a freeway)
I only want to travel on city streets 40-45 mph limit.
Occasionally on state highway for short distances. (55 mph limit)

Old 03-14-2018, 01:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by greg74
We ride for a short distance on the highway to get from one section to another on our local trails. The creek crossing is usually impassable so we zip on the highway and take the bridge. But its only like maybe 1/4 mile. We wait for traffic to clear and go. Not really wide open but a decent pace to get off the highway as quickly as possible. Atvs were never mean to be ridden wide open anyway. I'm not exactly sure how fast a Sportsman 700 can go flat out, I would guess about 65 mph. If you really wanted to ride at a constant fast speed, I wouldnt run it over about 45 mph. I had a friend who ruined the engine on his Grizzly 660 running it wide open for several miles. You can run wide open but only for a few seconds at a time. Its really hard on the engine. Imagine taking your car or truck and running it at top speed. How long would you expect it to last before the engine started showing severe signs of abuse?
Thanks Greg, exactly the info I was looking for.
I never planned to run wide open for more that a short duration. (from one trailhead to another)
Want to travel on city streets occasionally. (40-45 mph limit)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Max sustained speed