Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Wheels for 2008 500X2

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels for 2008 500X2

I need to get some new wheels for my 500x2. Don’t need anything fancy - just new wheels for a good price.

What are better - aluminum or steel? Any recommendations?

Old 07-06-2018, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

ITP had some steel wheels that I bought for the 2006 X2 I had. Fit was good except for the fronts ended up sticking out extra. Tight on 50" gates. Steel tends to bend if you hit a rock too hard. Can be straightened with a press. Aluminum tends to be more brittle but a high quality rim may give some. Check out eBay.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
ITP had some steel wheels that I bought for the 2006 X2 I had. Fit was good except for the fronts ended up sticking out extra. Tight on 50" gates. Steel tends to bend if you hit a rock too hard. Can be straightened with a press. Aluminum tends to be more brittle but a high quality rim may give some. Check out eBay.
yea, my stock steel have been battered over the years and have bends - loses air between rides - gotta get new rubber - figured it was time to get new wheels as well. I can’t go any wider cus I still have my 4x8 trailer. Thinking of trying the Bearclaw HTR - just need to decide if I want the steel wheels of the SS212. The Bearclaws are a little heavier - thinking the aluminum wheels may offset the extra weight. FYI - been quite a while since I’ve been on - what are you running now Moose?

Old 07-06-2018, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhh, aluminum wheels won't save you any weight. In fact, according to make and style, they may actually weigh MORE than steel wheels. Aluminum won't bend but will break. Steel won't break but will bend. Most aluminum wheels also require new longer studs be put in and also require different lug nuts. Better also check offset if width is and issue. Many aluminum wheels have more offset than the stock steel making the machine wider.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by polman500
Uhh, aluminum wheels won't save you any weight. In fact, according to make and style, they may actually weigh MORE than steel wheels. Aluminum won't bend but will break. Steel won't break but will bend. Most aluminum wheels also require new longer studs be put in and also require different lug nuts. Better also check offset if width is and issue. Many aluminum wheels have more offset than the stock steel making the machine wider.
the aluminum (Ss212) are 1.20 lbs lighter per wheel. Offset is the same 4+3.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where'd you get the weight?
You sure the factory wheels are 4+3?

Old 07-07-2018, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by polman500
Where'd you get the weight?
You sure the factory wheels are 4+3?
Weight for ITP site.

Ill check offset again

Old 07-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by *5 J's*

Weight for ITP site.

Ill check offset again
Front Wheel is a 12 x 6 / 4-156
The measured off set to outside of rim is 4.75” inside / 2.25” outside. Which totals 7” on a 6” wheel. So I guess I subtract 1/2” from each and get a 4.25 + 1.75 offset. (Maybe they would call this a 4 + 2)

One the the front I can afford a little more outside offset - but not inside offset as I would hit my tie-rod ends.

Rear Wheel is a 12 x 8 / 4-156
The measured off set to outside of rim is 7” inside / 2.25” outside. Which totals 9.25” on a 8” wheel. I’m guess the offset would be 6.25 + 1.75 (maybe they would call this a 6+2)

On the rear I can’t afford any more outside offset - maybe I need to get a 5 + 2 if I can’t find a 8” wheel with a 6 + 2 offset.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by *5 J's*

yea, my stock steel have been battered over the years and have bends - loses air between rides - gotta get new rubber - figured it was time to get new wheels as well. I can’t go any wider cus I still have my 4x8 trailer. Thinking of trying the Bearclaw HTR - just need to decide if I want the steel wheels of the SS212. The Bearclaws are a little heavier - thinking the aluminum wheels may offset the extra weight. FYI - been quite a while since I’ve been on - what are you running now Moose?
I'm on a Can-Am Outlander Max Limited R1000 running ITP Terracross tires. Wouldn't be my first choice but they've surprised me again and again. Plowed all last winter, harvested lots of firewood, and been on a couple rides. Last ride saw several mud/water holes that were rutted and slick. Gray clay. Got into one rut and the machine was just about all the way on its side. Tires grabbed on and dragged the machine and I right out.

On the previous Outlander Max 650 XTP I started out with Calisle ACT's which is one of the better original equipment tires in my mind. Went to Interco Swamp Lites and they were pretty amazing. Good in everything. Hard pack, sand (dunes I went on required I had the quad in 4wd), rocks, mud, roots, and snow. Wear and tear wasn't too bad either.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

Now I’m not sure I can find wheels that will work for me. I need to replace the stock as they are banged up - but can’t afford to go any wider in the rear (and can not afford to get a new trailer right now either :-)

Quick Reply: Wheels for 2008 500X2