Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that is what he came here to find out. I think that is the whole point of this thread captain obvious.

It was running good, that it stopped running good. What changed?

Myself I would start trouble shooting ignition circuit, even though it has spark. I would also make certain it really is getting fuel. I might dump small amount of gas in plug, and see if it fire. Or put fresh plugs in and see if wet. If fuel injected can start checking fuel pressure.

It can have spark, and still not be at the right time, from a bad crank sensor.

Cause if it aint starting he doesn't really have the right mix of fuel and spark like he said. Though he is doing exactly what I would do. See spark at plugs. New plugs Check plugs wet, turns over. WTF isn't it starting?

Old 10-19-2018, 09:31 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
I think that is what he came here to find out. I think that is the whole point of this thread captain obvious.

It was running good, that it stopped running good. What changed?

Myself I would start trouble shooting ignition circuit, even though it has spark. I would also make certain it really is getting fuel. I might dump small amount of gas in plug, and see if it fire. Or put fresh plugs in and see if wet. If fuel injected can start checking fuel pressure.

It can have spark, and still not be at the right time, from a bad crank sensor.

Cause if it aint starting he doesn't really have the right mix of fuel and spark like he said. Though he is doing exactly what I would do. See spark at plugs. New plugs Check plugs wet, turns over. WTF isn't it starting?
What changed? The timing, according to you Major Nuisance. Why bother troubleshooting anything if you know that's the problem?

Old 10-19-2018, 11:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by 94harley
Take the air filter out and spray some carb cleaner in the intake tube and see if it fires up briefly on that. If it does fire up shortly, drain the carb bowl and see if it looks like water in the fuel system. When you say you have fuel, did you pull a fuel line and verify its flowing through the fuel lines, or did you just fill the tank with fresh fuel?
I tried carb cleaner and it didn't even try.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:46 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Big Frank
What changed? The timing, according to you Major Nuisance. Why bother troubleshooting anything if you know that's the problem?
Huh? It was running, as everything is when it rolls out of the factory, Then it isn't. You need to trouble shoot, Often getting out a meter, which beyond many. Breaking it up logically.

I can't figure out why you have a controversy. Something failed. Which is why he is here.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Tkoes
I tried carb cleaner and it didn't even try.
Its mechanical or electrical then. Those 500's were famous for the exhaust lobe wearing off. They would idle fine, but not rev up(got a bad backfire into the airbox) You say yours wont even idle now, makes me think that may not be it but definately worth a look. As far as changing the plug, was it new, or a different used plug you had(Ive had a lot of people come into the shop and they change to a used plug they had, and it was no good either) When you checked spark was it a fine blue color or a bright white color??? If blue you should be ok, if bright white toss it and buy a new one. Monday when i get to work I'll look at the reverse limiter system and see if we can disable it. It can cause issues as well when they go bad.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:30 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Originally Posted by Zerk
Huh? It was running, as everything is when it rolls out of the factory, Then it isn't. You need to trouble shoot, Often getting out a meter, which beyond many. Breaking it up logically.

I can't figure out why you have a controversy. Something failed. Which is why he is here.
The controversy started right after my first post. That's all I have to say on the matter.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:38 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Its mechanical or electrical then. Those 500's were famous for the exhaust lobe wearing off. They would idle fine, but not rev up(got a bad backfire into the airbox) You say yours wont even idle now, makes me think that may not be it but definately worth a look. As far as changing the plug, was it new, or a different used plug you had(Ive had a lot of people come into the shop and they change to a used plug they had, and it was no good either) When you checked spark was it a fine blue color or a bright white color??? If blue you should be ok, if bright white toss it and buy a new one. Monday when i get to work I'll look at the reverse limiter system and see if we can disable it. It can cause issues as well when they go bad.
I thought only the Sportsman 500s had soft cams and it was before they made the H.O., but I don't know enough to say you're right or wrong. I'd like to know one way or the other, so when someone else asks about it I'll be able to tell them.

And on the reverse limiter, I thought you could just unplug the module to eliminate it.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Big Frank
I thought only the Sportsman 500s had soft cams and it was before they made the H.O., but I don't know enough to say you're right or wrong. I'd like to know one way or the other, so when someone else asks about it I'll be able to tell them.

And on the reverse limiter, I thought you could just unplug the module to eliminate it.

We still see cam issues to this day but not as often as we used to. It's not just the old cam, or sportsman cams. Basically all the 500s use the same cam. The old ones use to have a single oiling hole for the exhaust rocker. The exhaust rocker opens both valves at the same time. Think about it this way, twice the spring pressure with one oiling hole, rocker is not twice the width of the intakes but it is wider than an intake lobe, so in my opinion more spring pressure with less surface area on the lobe can lead to failures(more psi per surface area, footprint if you will). The newer updated cams had 2 oiling holes, but we still to this day see failures. Surface area a potential cause, to me yes. Service intervals a possibility as well. According to Polaris, driving habits an issue as well. Short run and shut offs, lack of lube to upper end another issue.

As far as the limiter you are correct. Remove the black wire and it doesnt function anymore. But, newer models incorporate the limiter in the speedo. Cant remember if the machine in question uses the limiter box, or does it through the speedo. Will have to look into that but I haven't had time yet.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:27 AM
THE BERMINATOR

That makes sense about the exhaust lobe wearing faster.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I put in 2 brand new plugs thinking maybe I got a bad one which after the second i actually looked at it. It was a blue.

Quick Reply: Won't start