Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

white spring+26" titans=shredded belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had read the post earlier about people having belts go with the white spring installed. I figured I would see for myself. I put 300 miles on with the spring in and stock tires, and was happy with the results. Got my 26" titans on steel rims and put about 100 miles on this combination when it let loose, wide open on gravel. got towed back to camp (by a griz). Put new belt on and old spring next day. BTW, Its a H.O. The initial engagement still seems a bit on the high side for the larger tires. Is there a lower engaging spring or weight set up I could try? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-23-2001, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah ,I posted a month ago about that,and it just happened again last week.But after the first time it happened I packed an extra belt.
I dont know what to think....all these other HO's dont seem to have a problem.
Anyone got any suggestions?

Old 04-23-2001, 10:28 PM
Range Rover

I ruined a belt at about 300 miles. I am still not sure why. 1.)I pulled a 500ho out of a deep ditch where it had rolled. Used low gearing.
2.)Dealer pulled a unit out of the mud.
3.) I got stuck in deep snow while I was in high. Brief encounter then shifted to low. The engine would rev but the tires would not move.
I talked to the dealer, took off the old belt and brought it in.
He looked at the belt and finally found a small indent at the edge. There was some belt dust on the cover. I was surprised it was such a small dent on the outer top edge. The dealer replaced the belt.
I still run the green spring and the 26" mudrunners, however I use low range more.

weetoots

Old 04-24-2001, 07:44 PM
Trailblazer

500DUSE, how many miles did you get between belts?I'm going to pick up a spare before I go out on my next ride. I brought the old one in to the dealer, what was left of it anyway, They had never seen anything like it before. I had a handful of rubber coated twine with one chunk of rubber with polaris on it. I'm hoping with the stock spring in it will help.

Old 04-26-2001, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

Change clutch weights to 44 gram high altitude weights. Don't mess with your spring.

Old 04-27-2001, 07:35 AM
Pro Rider

Superhero
I dont really remember,maybe 150-200?I only have around 550 miles on it.
the first belt cut threw cover when it went
Odin
Whats the deal with changeing the weights?I'm at sea level.

Old 04-28-2001, 11:53 AM
Range Rover

I had the same problem. I put a white spring in and excavator tires and boom went the belt.
If you need a quick fix that I up to now have had no problems with then go and put the goodyear power streak belt in it certainly worked for me.Compared to the stock polaris belts it makes them look like there out of a kiddies toy.There very strong and can handle way more heat.
Hope this helps.
Matt
2000 500 Scrambler.

Old 04-28-2001, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

EnglishMatt, where'd you get the belt from? I had been thinking about a belt from Aaen also, thanks for the info.

Old 04-28-2001, 03:00 PM
Range Rover

I got mine from Canadian Tire but Im sure that have a web site for good year were you could probably get one.
Matt
2000 500 Scrambler.

Old 04-28-2001, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Odin, changing to lighter weights is a better solution than changing to a white spring. The engagement with a white spring is quite a bit higher than the stock spring and if you are engaging at a higher rpm you generate a lot more heat that will greatly increase wear. So it is not surprising to hear of belts blowing up.
I too have tried the white spring but as soon as my new weights are here I will be installing them and turfing the white spring.
Just my thoughts.

Quick Reply: white spring+26" titans=shredded belt